Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your News, Money, Sports  Hop To Forums  News    Hello, Southerners! (a quiz)
      Page: 1 2 3 4 5 
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Hello, Southerners! (a quiz)
 Login/Register 
Steadfast...
Picture of Ictalurus Punctatus
posted Hide Post
Thanks HB. Smile   :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If we stop listening to the other side, no matter how much we disagree, then we will grow further and further apart and solutions that we all want will never be found.

Posts: 16209 | Location: On The Beach | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Zealot...
Picture of Holy Bhagworm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ictalurus Punctatus:
Thanks HB. Smile   :)

No...thank you! you are excellent at what you do! I believe you should concentrate on your very difficult and specialized talent as a successful restaurant owner/manager. I also enjoy your observations and information about science fiction novels, esp. Robert Heinlein. I told you that Stranger in a Strange Land is still one of my favorite novels.

But when it comes to politics, it's hard for me to believe that it's you writing the lies to cover up for GWB, trump, whatever. you seem so much more intelligent than what comes out of your keyboard.

Well, take heart! Most of W's people and many of trump's are now on liberal TV stations and have become registered Democrats. It's over for your ilk. It's just the painful agonizing end that you have to face. This seems like the perfect time for you to distance yourself from trump and his minions. And don't worry...idiots like crump and spawn won't even notice that you've abandoned them.

HB

Posts: 21984 | Location: 1 | Mbr Since: 08-11-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holy Bhagworm:
I know. I can't help myself when baby back ribs are on the menu. I need to start thinking about my health. Nah.

Smile   :)

They ARE good!

But then, you are probably one of those tall and thin guys who can eat just about anything and remain that way (just a WAG). I'm only 5' tall and have IBS. If I ate like most southerners, I'd be roly poly and sick all the time.

Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 3690 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aallegiant
Picture of Lynn Dee
posted Hide Post
Trae Crowder weighs in at 31:
quote:
31 bayba. My meemaws was workin overtime for my fat ass

https://twitter.com/traecrowde.../1139342356224909318

His mention of his meemaws reminds of a story I almost told here just yesterday!

Anyway, NPR's Ari Shapiro was interviewing a new Southern writer, a young woman. (I can't remember her name, but will try to find out later.) So she was telling him a story about something, and he said, "Sounds like something someone who calls their grandma meemaw might say." She got very excited and said, "Oh! Do you have a meemaw?!"

He said, "No, I'm Jewish. Jews don't have meemaws."

It was a light, quirky moment -- he wasn't being rude or even blunt, just forthright, but it sure brought things to a standstill. Her voice kind of trailed off ("Oh, well..."), and he immediately jumped in with another question to move things along.

I'll see if I can find out who she was.

Zach Floyd: "I want Trump to start claiming things like he's eaten 1,000 bees in his life so we can see Scott Walker try to eat a bunch of bees." Plus: And Jeb! take the bold stand of announcing he will not be eating any bees.

Posts: 40331 | Location: SoCal by the Mall | Mbr Since: 10-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aallegiant
Picture of Lynn Dee
posted Hide Post
Well, this is interesting! Turns out it was Parker Posey talking about her memoir (which she pronounced "me-moir"). I also see where Shapiro said his comment was the most controversial thing he said on NPR that day, and you can see at the link below it got quite a response on twitter too:

https://twitter.com/arishapiro...633554276353?lang=en

You can hear the interview here:

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/25...youre-on-an-airplane

Zach Floyd: "I want Trump to start claiming things like he's eaten 1,000 bees in his life so we can see Scott Walker try to eat a bunch of bees." Plus: And Jeb! take the bold stand of announcing he will not be eating any bees.

Posts: 40331 | Location: SoCal by the Mall | Mbr Since: 10-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
Picture of Dixie Chick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lynn Dee:
Trae Crowder weighs in at 31:
quote:
31 bayba. My meemaws was workin overtime for my fat ass

https://twitter.com/traecrowde.../1139342356224909318

His mention of his meemaws reminds of a story I almost told here just yesterday!

Anyway, NPR's Ari Shapiro was interviewing a new Southern writer, a young woman. (I can't remember her name, but will try to find out later.) So she was telling him a story about something, and he said, "Is that something your meemaw might have told you?" She got very excited and exclaimed, "Oh! Do you have a meemaw?!"

He said, "No, I'm Jewish. Jews don't have meemaws."

It was a light, quirky moment -- he wasn't being rude or even blunt, just forthright, but it sure brought things to a standstill. Her voice kind of trailed off ("Oh, well..."), and he immediately jumped in with another question to move things along.

I'll see if I can find out who she was.

Jews have Bubbes.

I had Grandmother. My husband had Grandmother and our children had the same.

Did you know that blacks have an “Other Mother?” They are often close friends to the mother.

I am Nai Nai to my only grandchild who is Chinese. It is mother of the father in Mandrian.

“Why bite when a growl will suffice?”....Oskar the dog

Posts: 54871 | Location: Frogville, Georgia USA | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aallegiant
Picture of Lynn Dee
posted Hide Post
Yes. I thought at the time he could've mentioned his bubbe, but he didn't. I was thinking maybe he didn't want to make her interview about him, but that's just a guess.

AAA+
Picture of Dixie Chick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes. I thought at the time he could've mentioned his bubbe, but he didn't. I was thinking he didn't want to make her interview about him, but that's just a guess.

Yes.

Posts: 54871 | Location: Frogville, Georgia USA | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
Picture of Dixie Chick
posted Hide Post
I finally got Trae’s Twitter thread to open.

Hoppin John is black eyed peas and white rice with onions on the top. Noticed that some thought it was just the peas. Add onions on top. Cook the peas after soaking with onions, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and just enough meat to season.

I think it’s interesting that legumes and rice seem to be a staple all over the world albeit with varied interpretations.

Dix

Aallegiant
Picture of Lynn Dee
posted Hide Post
Are you mocking me, Ms. Dixie?!

Anyway, the "yes" was to the part about the bubbe. I didn't realize "other mother" was a regular thing (but I like the idea), and thank you for the explanation of "nai nai." Sounds almost like "nana," doesn't it? My dad called his mother's mother "nana," so of course we "kids" did too.

Aallegiant
Picture of Lynn Dee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dixie Chick:
I finally got Trae’s Twitter thread to open.

Hoppin John is black eyed peas and white rice with onions on the top. Noticed that some thought it was just the peas. Add onions on top. Cook the peas after soaking with onions, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and just enough meat to season.

I think it’s interesting that legumes and rice seem to be a staple all over the world albeit with varied interpretations.

Dix

I had no idea what hoppin John was. Totally agree about legumes and rice. They're supposed to be the perfectly balanced dish, right?

AAA+
Picture of Dixie Chick
posted Hide Post
1. Mocking? Not at all.

2. I had to say something because I can’t stand Meemaw. Where it came from I do not know.

It’s used a lot in rural Georgia. You might as well know, Atlantans are constantly embarrassed by their rural cousins and the rest of Georgia literally hates Atlanta..

I suppose I’m part of that.

AAA+
Picture of Dixie Chick
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had no idea what hoppin John was. Totally agree about legumes and rice. They're supposed to be the perfectly balanced dish, right?

I’d want a salad too, but nutritionally the combo is an inexpensive source for protein.

I have a great recipe for red beans and rice from a friend in New Orleans.

I’ll add it later after I get on the desktop. I’m on the mobile right now where I make too many typos.

Zealot...
Picture of Holy Bhagworm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, this is interesting! Turns out it was Parker Posey talking about her memoir (which she pronounced "me-moir"). I also see where Shapiro said his comment was the most controversial thing he said on NPR that day, and you can see at the link below it got quite a response on twitter too:

https://twitter.com/arishapiro...633554276353?lang=en

You can hear the interview here:

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/25...youre-on-an-airplane

Parker Posey! She was on this one episode of Louie. Gee, I loved her in that episode.

HB

Posts: 21984 | Location: 1 | Mbr Since: 08-11-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aallegiant
Picture of Lynn Dee
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I’d want a salad too, but nutritionally the combo is an inexpensive source for protein.

I have a great recipe for red beans and rice from a friend in New Orleans.

I’ll add it later after I get on the desktop. I’m on the mobile right now where I make too many typos.

Yes yes yes to the red beans and rice recipe!

Which reminds me: I tried to figure out my score on the Southern food quiz, and I think it's about 7 or 8. I tried not to count anything I'd "had" that I didn't think was actually Southern -- e.g., pear salad (which I assume isn't just half a canned pear sitting on a piece of lettuce like my mom used to serve us when we were kids, sometimes with cottage cheese atop the pear) or some things like that. I've fried bologna but is there more to it than that? I kind of assume there is -- in which case I get a 7. If it's enough to fry the stuff up and slap it between two pieces of bread, then I'm an 8!

Aallegiant
Picture of Lynn Dee
posted Hide Post
That's interesting about meemaw. I'd never heard it until ... hmm, not sure when. I never heard it in Virginia, I know that. In any case, I didn't really think of it as Southern so much as hillbilly.

AAA+
Picture of Dixie Chick
posted Hide Post
You’ve had fried bologna and you got a 7, yet I have never partaken yet got a 30?

Girl you have had pear salad. Add it to your list and before you know it you’ll be kissin’ yore grits.

I make it all the time. I have a variation with the dressing.

First put two canned Bartlett pears on a piece of lettuce. Then thin some Hellmann’s with the pear juice from the pear can and drizzle on the salad. Then....ta DAAA....the piece de resistance....dust with smoky paprika.

Serve cold with things like chicken pot pie, or soup.

Another Southern thing that I actually can’t understand is pineapple cheese salad with spaghetti.

Zealot...
Picture of Holy Bhagworm
posted Hide Post
quote:
You’ve had fried bologna and you got a 7, yet I have never partaken yet got a 30?

Girl you have had pear salad. Add it to your list and before you know it you’ll be kissin’ yore grits.

I make it all the time. I have a variation with the dressing.

First put two canned Bartlett pears on a piece of lettuce. Then thin some Hellmann’s with the pear juice from the pear can and drizzle on the salad. Then....ta DAAA....the piece de resistance....dust with smoky paprika.

Serve cold with things like chicken pot pie, or soup.

Another Southern thing that I actually can’t understand is pineapple cheese salad with spaghetti.

Hellman’s with the pear juice you say? Where’s the vomit imoji?

HB

AAA+
Picture of Dixie Chick
posted Hide Post
When I was a girl my aunt taught me to make what she called “candlestick salad.” I thought it was amazing. She was the 1950’s answer to Martha Stewart.

1. Again, lettuce on a plate.

2. Slice of canned pineapple on the lettuce

3. Cut a banana in half and insert the flat cut piece in the hole of the pineapple. That is the candle.

4. Put a toothpick in the tip of the banana and insert a marishino cherry on the tip if the toothpick. That is the flame.

5. Thin some Hellmann’s with pineapple juice from the can and drizzle on the candle. That is the tallow.

I made it a lot for my young husband until one night I made them for a group of guests. There they were. Eight penises lined up on my table, four on each side.

How phallic is that?

Dixie

AAA+
Picture of Dixie Chick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hellman’s with the pear juice you say? Where’s the vomit imoji?

H

It’s good.

So is my cold asparagus salad.

Canned asparagus on lettuce. Thin the Hellman’s With asparagus juice and top with a slice of lemon.

I wouldn’t call it truly Southern though, unless you used Dukes.

AAA+
Picture of Dixie Chick
posted Hide Post
This is a simple recipe but the depth of flavor might surprise.

LOUISIANA RED BEANS & RICE

1 lb dry red kidney beans
2 cups chopped onions
3 to 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 cups chopped celery, including leaves
1 teaspoon each, salt & pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Several dashes Tabasco
3+ quarts water
1 lb smoked sausage*

1 bunch green onions, chopped, tops and bottoms

Rinse and drain beans. Chop celery, onion and garlic in food processor and place with beans in large Dutch oven. Bring to boil. Simmer 4 - 5 hours OR until beans are soft and liquid is thick. Correct seasonings.

During last 30 minutes of beans cooking slice sausage and sauté or bake until fat is rendered and add to beans.

Serve over hot rice
Garnish top with chopped green onions

*Use andouille sausage (not hot version, the dish is hot enough)
Or lite kielbasa Or I make it meatless too.

I substitute 2 teaspoons McCormick’s Hotshot for both the black pepper and the cayenne. Hotshot is a mix of both.

Enthusiast...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
Thanks, sounds good.

Posts: 4421 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
Picture of Dixie Chick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
Thanks, sounds good.

Bon appetit...

...Bon temps rouler...

Y’all...

Dixie

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I was a girl my aunt taught me to make what she called “candlestick salad.” I thought it was amazing. She was the 1950’s answer to Martha Stewart.

1. Again, lettuce on a plate.

2. Slice of canned pineapple on the lettuce

3. Cut a banana in half and insert the flat cut piece in the hole of the pineapple. That is the candle.

4. Put a toothpick in the tip of the banana and insert a marishino cherry on the tip if the toothpick. That is the flame.

5. Thin some Hellmann’s with pineapple juice from the can and drizzle on the candle. That is the tallow.

I made it a lot for my young husband until one night I made them for a group of guests. There they were. Eight penises lined up on my table, four on each side.

How phallic is that?

Oh, too funny! ROTF   :rotf:

Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 3690 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aallegiant
Picture of Lynn Dee
posted Hide Post
Omg, Miz Dixie!

LOL!   :lol: