Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your News, Money, Sports  Hop To Forums  News    Hello, Southerners! (a quiz)
      Page: 1 2 3 4 5 
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Hello, Southerners! (a quiz)
 Login/Register 
Enthusiast...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dixie Chick:
You’ve had fried bologna and you got a 7, yet I have never partaken yet got a 30?

Girl you have had pear salad. Add it to your list and before you know it you’ll be kissin’ yore grits.

I make it all the time. I have a variation with the dressing.

First put two canned Bartlett pears on a piece of lettuce. Then thin some Hellmann’s with the pear juice from the pear can and drizzle on the salad. Then....ta DAAA....the piece de resistance....dust with smoky paprika.

Serve cold with things like chicken pot pie, or soup.

Another Southern thing that I actually can’t understand is pineapple cheese salad with spaghetti.

Try curry powder on the pears, the flavor is not as expected and almost sweeter.

Posts: 4404 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aavid
Picture of Gus Rodgers
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jews have Bubbes.
If they’re Russian Jews, maybe babushka. If they’re Russian gentiles, certainly babushka. The Russian word for grandfather, dyedushka, is feminine.

I called my mother’s mother MawMaw.

When Lynn mentioned Parker Posey, I thought of Mary-Louise Parker, also Southern. Julia Roberts, also Southern.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quinnipiac Poll: Ebola Virus 52%, Trump 38%

Posts: 29555 | Location: Dacron, Ohio | Mbr Since: 05-19-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aallegiant
Picture of Lynn Dee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lynn Dee:
quote:
quote:
I had no idea what hoppin John was. Totally agree about legumes and rice. They're supposed to be the perfectly balanced dish, right?

I’d want a salad too, but nutritionally the combo is an inexpensive source for protein.

I have a great recipe for red beans and rice from a friend in New Orleans.

I’ll add it later after I get on the desktop. I’m on the mobile right now where I make too many typos.

Yes yes yes to the red beans and rice recipe!

Which reminds me: I tried to figure out my score on the Southern food quiz, and I think it's about 7 or 8. I tried not to count anything I'd "had" that I didn't think was actually Southern -- e.g., pear salad (which I assume isn't just half a canned pear sitting on a piece of lettuce like my mom used to serve us when we were kids, sometimes with cottage cheese atop the pear) or some things like that. I've fried bologna but is there more to it than that? I kind of assume there is -- in which case I get a 7. If it's enough to fry the stuff up and slap it between two pieces of bread, then I'm an 8!

I need to bookmark this thread!

Thanks, Ms. Dixie -- I want to say I'll try this out this weekend, but I think I need to give myself a little more time than that.

Zach Floyd: "I want Trump to start claiming things like he's eaten 1,000 bees in his life so we can see Scott Walker try to eat a bunch of bees." Plus: And Jeb! take the bold stand of announcing he will not be eating any bees.

Posts: 40320 | Location: SoCal by the Mall | Mbr Since: 10-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
Try curry powder on the pears, the flavor is not as expected and almost sweeter.

Our neighbors in FL always served it with cottage cheese and a bottled cherry on top.

Mom always topped the pears with shredded sharp cheddar and drizzled it with a honey-ginger sauce. Just heat honey and smashed fresh or powdered ginger together. A thin pat of butter is a nice addition to the sauce.

A more adult version is with gorgonzola or blue cheese crumbles rather than cheddar. But if you are going this far, make sure the lettuce has lots of ruffles...Smile-Big   :D

Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 3675 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
I want to say I'll try this out this weekend, but I think I need to give myself a little more time than that.

Lynn, red beans and rice - especially when made with sausage, is a great meal when served in the fall. Not winter-heavy, but with plenty of spicy heat for the cooler weather.

Posts: 3675 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:

Our neighbors in FL always served it with cottage cheese and a bottled cherry on top.

Mom always topped the pears with shredded sharp cheddar and drizzled it with a honey-ginger sauce. Just heat honey and smashed fresh or powdered ginger together. A thin pat of butter is a nice addition to the sauce.

A more adult version is with gorgonzola or blue cheese crumbles rather than cheddar. But if you are going this far, make sure the lettuce has lots of ruffles...Smile-Big   :D

Yep, I’ve had most versions, except the honey ginger. Just learned the curry thing which is quick, and simple.

Posts: 4404 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just learned the curry thing which is quick, and simple.

Yep, and curry contains ginger - which a pear begs to be dressed with.

Aallegiant
Picture of Lynn Dee
posted Hide Post
I will try the curry (which I love anyway).

But here's another surprising (to me) spice that proved to be quite tasty -- cinnamon added to spaghetti sauce. I first encountered this years ago, and I gather "true cooks" don't find it surprising at all. Is it a Mediterranean and/or Middle Eastern thing? I know cinnamon is typically in moussaka, which I also love -- even though it's been years since I had that. There was a place in Boston that we used to go to all the time for moussaka -- back when we could eat whatever we damn well wanted! Grrr...

Zach Floyd: "I want Trump to start claiming things like he's eaten 1,000 bees in his life so we can see Scott Walker try to eat a bunch of bees." Plus: And Jeb! take the bold stand of announcing he will not be eating any bees.

Posts: 40320 | Location: SoCal by the Mall | Mbr Since: 10-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will try the curry (which I love anyway).

But here's another surprising (to me) spice that proved to be quite tasty -- cinnamon added to spaghetti sauce. I first encountered this years ago, and I gather "true cooks" don't find it surprising at all. Is it a Mediterranean and/or Middle Eastern thing? I know cinnamon is typically in moussaka, which I also love -- even though it's been years since I had that. There was a place in Boston that we used to go to all the time for moussaka -- back when we could eat whatever we damn well wanted! Grrr...

I first ran into cinnamon on beef in the presto cookbook for my pressure cooker. It was called Swiss steak and had several odd ingredients in the sense they weren’t common in the US. I’ve since learned that some middle eastern cultures put cinnamon in foods because of it healing properties or prevention attributes. It makes good sense.