Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your News, Money, Sports  Hop To Forums  News    Arghhhhh. The SCOTUS has stated that public health does not override religious freedo
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Arghhhhh. The SCOTUS has stated that public health does not override religious freedo
 Login/Register 
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted

Posts: 11622 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
Picture of ImPeach
posted Hide Post
I’m not a lawyer, not even close. Gosh! The precedent leads my imagination places I don’t want to go.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Life isn’t fair but the government should be.”...Ann Richards, Governor of Texas

Posts: 60901 | Location: Frogville, Georgia USA | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aallegiant
Picture of Lynn Dee
posted Hide Post
My heart sank when I read some of the language from this decision. Trying to hope it's not a sign of things to come.

Frown   :(

Zach Floyd: "I want Trump to start claiming things like he's eaten 1,000 bees in his life so we can see Scott Walker try to eat a bunch of bees." Plus: And Jeb! take the bold stand of announcing he will not be eating any bees.

Posts: 44871 | Location: SoCal by the Mall | Mbr Since: 10-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aallegiant
Picture of Lynn Dee
posted Hide Post
Steve M. tweets:

https://twitter.com/nomoremist.../1332005709769297921

Zach Floyd: "I want Trump to start claiming things like he's eaten 1,000 bees in his life so we can see Scott Walker try to eat a bunch of bees." Plus: And Jeb! take the bold stand of announcing he will not be eating any bees.

Posts: 44871 | Location: SoCal by the Mall | Mbr Since: 10-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aardent
Picture of Gus Rodgers
posted Hide Post
Well, it probably doesn’t apply to inferior religions.

“President Trump is a failed leader. He will go down in history as the worst President ever.”
Arnold Schwarzenegger

Posts: 32491 | Location: Dacron, Ohio | Mbr Since: 05-19-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chronic...
posted Hide Post
Where "inferior" means the ones what ain't in charge at the moment?

Posts: 9779 | Location: Colorado | Mbr Since: 10-17-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ImPeach:
I’m not a lawyer, not even close. Gosh! The precedent leads my imagination places I don’t want to go.

Amen! But I don’t think you even need to play a lawyer on TV to know your imagination is touching on reality.

Posts: 11622 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Henry J:
Where "inferior" means the ones what ain't in charge at the moment?

Unfortunately, no that’s not how the original reference was meant to play out, but you knew that!

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
As I read more about the unsigned decision I’m seeing that the size of the establishment was not taken into consideration, perhaps because of sing? What I still wonder is whether a new restriction that treated venues similarly might satisfy both or will the SCOTUS decision exempt religious assemblies from all practical restrictions.

Chronic...
posted Hide Post
I wonder what a literal reading of the constitution says? It might not have anything that would establish relative priority of the two rules (freedom of religion vs. survival of the people involved).

Posts: 9779 | Location: Colorado | Mbr Since: 10-17-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
In general freedoms have traditionally been limited by the end of the nose of another! You can’t yell fire in a crowded theatre, you can hot someone because they deserve it or your religion says that in fact they should be stoned to death!

Just found an article about a Mongolian villiage that had the Black Plague and vowed it stopped with them! The village still exists but the lost about 25% iirc.

I’m tired. Our founding fathers had to know what plagues were. They’d even brought measles and small pox to those who had no resistance and were here before them. I think they believed that no one would claim a freedom of religion, including proselytizing, would be used to say that a quarantine of a person with a contagious disease made sense.

I certainly did t learn that all rights in the Bill of rights were absolute!

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:

“It may well be that such restrictions violate the Free Exercise Clause. It is not necessary, however, for us to rule on that serious and difficult question at this time,” the chief justice wrote in a solo dissent. “The Governor might reinstate the restrictions. But he also might not. And it is a significant matter to override determinations made by public health officials concerning what is necessary for public safety in the midst of a deadly pandemic.”
“I fear that granting applications such as the one filed by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn … will only exacerbate the Nation’s suffering,” Justice Sonia Sotomayor wrote in a somber dissent joined by Justice Elena Kagan.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
On Saturday, a U.S. Supreme Court justice rejected a petition filed by the church's pastor, Tony Spell, pushing back against Louisiana's COVID-19 orders restricting religious gathering sizes.

Maybe, there is hope?

Aardent
Picture of Victor Laszlo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lynn Dee:
My heart sank when I read some of the language from this decision. Trying to hope it's not a sign of things to come.

Frown   :(

I share the same feelings. The only hope is to take back the senate and add more judges.

“ Fox News has done to our parents what our parents thought video games would do to us.”

Posts: 31931 | Location: from my home | Mbr Since: 10-13-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
It’s starting to look like they are being very specific as Louisiana said 75% in gatherings and that got upheld, so to speak.