Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your News, Money, Sports  Hop To Forums  News    French Actress Catherine Deneuve says #MeToo is driven by ‘hatred of men’
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

French Actress Catherine Deneuve says #MeToo is driven by ‘hatred of men’
 Login/Register 
AAA+
Picture of True Conservative
posted
quote:
PARIS — Actress Catherine Deneuve joined 99 other French women claiming that men are being unfairly targeted by sexual misconduct allegations, adding that the #MeToo campaign amounted to "puritanism" and was fueled by a "hatred of men."

In the aftermath of accusations against Hollywood film producer Harvey Weinstein, many women took to social media to share their stories of being sexually harassed or assaulted, using the #MeToo hashtag worldwide as well as #balancetonporc — or #SquealOnYourPig — in France.

The 74-year-old Deneuve, who is one of France's most famous screen stars, was among those warning that the "legitimate protest against sexual violence" stemming from Weinstein scandal had gone too far.

"This urge to send men to the slaughterhouse, instead of helping women be more autonomous, helps the enemies of sexual freedom," the 100 performers, scholars and others said in a column published Tuesday by Le Monde daily.

The man's right to "pester" a woman was an essential part of sexual freedom, they said in the open letter, describing the campaign as "puritanism."

Link

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standing in the Way of Big Goverment is Not Standing in the Way of Progress

Politicians Aren’t Causing Anti-Muslim Hostility — Jihadists Are (Stacey Dash)

Proud To Be Defending President Trump

Posts: 102493 | Location: Sunny Florida | Mbr Since: 10-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aally
Picture of Lynn Dee
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes   :rolleyes:

Zach Floyd: "I want Trump to start claiming things like he's eaten 1,000 bees in his life so we can see Scott Walker try to eat a bunch of bees." Plus: And Jeb! take the bold stand of announcing he will not be eating any bees.

Posts: 37855 | Location: SoCal by the Mall | Mbr Since: 10-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aadmirable
Picture of The Fox God
posted Hide Post
quote:
In a text published on the Franceinfotv website Wednesday, feminist Caroline De Haas and more than 30 activists strongly criticized the letter signed by Deneuve.

They said "it's a bit like the awkward work colleague or annoying uncle who doesn't understand what's happening."

Note to the NFL: Compulsory patriotism isn't patriotism. It's fake news.

Posts: 45688 | Location: Metal Heaven | Mbr Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
Picture of Dixie Chick
posted Hide Post
All this points out is that this problem, and it is a problem, is driven not by hatred but complexity...far more so than what we have been discussing here. That is to say, who got groped by whom and who had sex with whom. I have't wanted to discuss it because it is an age-old problem that seems more appropriate for a psychiatrists office or a sociological study than here.

What has changed?

Empowerment.

Still.

There are women and men who are intimidated and harmed by the sexual advances of predators every day. There are women and men who not only welcome it, but live for it. There are female predators who use their sexuality as well...and successfully.

There are work places where women are subordinates and will probably always be in actuality or just in the minds of others.

There are men who misread the signals from friendly women and seem to be suffering from an earnest learning disability on the subject. There are others for whom all women are skirts.

There are women who thrive on the attention of men, any man. I'm not one of those although being whistled at while walking by a construction site is a secret pleasure. Being pinched on the subway definitely is not.

There are men, I'd even say most I've ever met, who are so respectful of and comfortable with women that they are very and oh so cool and make a woman feel appreciated and comfortable as well..much like most of the men here.

I'm and old woman now. I come from a lonely place where the women I knew seldom discussed politics or things more global and I hated that. For me, conversations with men were valued. I am so happy that changed! But along with it so did the exhaulted status of men. The world is full of "people" now who have not ceased to enjoy their sexuality but also thrive in the pleasures of equality much more than when I was a girl.

My worst "me too" moment was at an appointment with a dirty old geezer physician who never got a wink from me. Other than that awful experiecne, most of my "me too moments" have been less sexual. They have come from good old boy bubbas who, since elementary school, have asserted their superiority and dominion not only over women but all of the races and creatures of the world at large.

Do I hate it, yes. But I don't blame all men.

Nevertheless, she persisted.

Posts: 50849 | Location: Frogville, Georgia USA | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Fox God:
quote:
In a text published on the Franceinfotv website Wednesday, feminist Caroline De Haas and more than 30 activists strongly criticized the letter signed by Deneuve.

They said "it's a bit like the awkward work colleague or annoying uncle who doesn't understand what's happening."

quote:
PARIS — Actress Catherine Deneuve joined 99 other French women claiming that men are being unfairly targeted by sexual misconduct allegations, adding that the #MeToo campaign amounted to "puritanism" and was fueled by a "hatred of men."

Posts: 102493 | Location: Sunny Florida | Mbr Since: 10-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aadmirable
Picture of The Fox God
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by True Conservative:
quote:
Originally posted by The Fox God:
quote:

quote:

Does your response, which consists of nothing more than a repetition if the opening paragraph (talking to yourself again?) have a point? Or maybe you agree with Ms Deneuve?

Posts: 45688 | Location: Metal Heaven | Mbr Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
posted Hide Post
99 is more than 3 times 30.

Aadmirable
Picture of The Fox God
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by True Conservative:
99 is more than 3 times 30.

In other words, you do agree...for the most idiotic of reasons.
99 is more than 3 times 30, therefore the 99 is automatically right. Could you be any more ridiculous?

Aardent
posted Hide Post
tc I thought that you hate the French.

whyisit

Posts: 30614 | Location: West Coast | Mbr Since: 10-16-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
Picture of Dixie Chick
posted Hide Post
For the life of me, I don't understand what point Trucky is attempting to make.

It's not a black or white issue or better said, a left or right or wrong one.

I also think it is wise to look at this issue in the context of our own culture.

Dixie Chick

Posts: 50849 | Location: Frogville, Georgia USA | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
Picture of Dixie Chick
posted Hide Post
Do read this American reply to De Monde from a writer at The New Yorker. Here is a summary- so much better than my own remarks which are tainted by a restrictive southern upbringing

Although she points out that this isn't a straightforward case of cultural upbringing...

In fact there's little about the subject that is straightforward at all, my larger point as well.

In summary:

quote:
I tell the story of being groped this summer in order to establish that I’m sympathetic to the idea that women can move on quickly from lesser instances of sexual harassment and assault. They can; I did. But I’m not so willfully unaware of the spectrum of human temperament and circumstance to ignore a woman’s right to be traumatized by an incident like the one that happened to me. There are reasonable criticisms to be made of the reckoning, as it’s come to be called, but Deneuve and Millet and their co-signers distort them. Bothering women in an unwanted way isn’t an expression of artistic temperament, without which the world would lose its magic. It’s often a by-product of a man’s (possibly very good) work making him think that he is invincible and owed. The hundred women’s admiration for a certain kind of man inhibits their empathy for his victims. Their stance is all the sadder in that it reveals a diminution of the same human quality that kindles the sexual energy they’re so keen not to see snuffed out. The failure to grasp that a woman—another woman with a different history, different values, a different set of likes and dislikes, attractions and repulsions—could grieve a trespass upon her body is really a failure of the imagination.