Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your News, Money, Sports  Hop To Forums  News    Protests rage in Puerto Rico after governor refuses to resign amid text scandal
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Protests rage in Puerto Rico after governor refuses to resign amid text scandal
 Login/Register 
AAA+
Picture of True Conservative
posted
quote:
CNN)Crowds of demonstrators are flooding the streets near Puerto Rico's Capitol, demanding the immediate resignation of Gov. Ricardo Rosselló.

"He needs to know that no one in Puerto Rico wants him," a protester told the crowd.

Calls for Rosselló to step down began after nearly 900 pages of leaked chats from a governor's private Telegram Messenger group, obtained by Puerto Rico's Center for Investigative Journalism, were published over the weekend.

Singer and actor Ricky Martin, reggaeton star Bad Bunny and rapper René Pérez Joglar, known as Residente, joined protesters in the American territory's capital.

Bad Bunny held a sign saying "Ricky resign" in Spanish.

"This government has to begin respecting the people," Residente told the crowd. "We can't stop protesting."

Protesters holding Puerto Rican flags, playing tambourines, and banging pots and pans were walking through the narrow streets of Old San Juan on their way to the governor's official residence, known locally as La Fortaleza.

"I'm here to fight for my rights and my daughter's rights," a protester, Andrea Batista, told CNN. "I'm tired of getting robbed."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/17...-protests/index.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standing in the Way of Big Goverment is Not Standing in the Way of Progress

Politicians Aren’t Causing Anti-Muslim Hostility — Jihadists Are (Stacey Dash)

Proud To Be Defending President Trump

Posts: 113429 | Location: Sunny Florida | Mbr Since: 10-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
Picture of Dixie Chick
posted Hide Post
Governor Ricky and Donald Trump were new bff in the aftermath of Maria a while back.

No mas.

D

Estoy Contigo

Posts: 55582 | Location: Frogville, Georgia USA | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
posted Hide Post
Fox 13, Tampa reported that the protests are hurting the economy. Cruise ships are canceling stops at Puerto Rico because of them.

Posts: 113429 | Location: Sunny Florida | Mbr Since: 10-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Perro Pedorro
posted Hide Post
I was about to start a topic about the massive protests in Puerto Rico, but starting a new topic when there's a decent one available just isn't my style, So I'll be respectful and not spam, but make a thoughtful contribution to truco's thread, because he always does the sameWink   ;)
So pick your favorite news source, it's all happening in the last 2 hours, and read or listen. One of the players is Yulín Cruz, mayor of San Juan, and she's spearheading the push for Gov. Rosselló to resign, but insists that the legislature exercise their constitutional powers and obligations by pursuing impeachment and removal if he doesn't. Is this a coup? Just thought I'd ask our contributors if it was, given that some insisted that any attempt, or even talk, by the duly elected legislative branch to remove an executive qualifies as a coup. Help me out here, truco. I haven't yet heard Rosselló screaming about a coup, but is this it?

More votes equals a loss.... revolution!! The Electoral College is a disaster to Democracy. The whole world is laughing at us! donald trump

Posts: 12430 | Location: OOC | Mbr Since: 11-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
posted Hide Post
The Governor says he won't resign but he won't run for reelection. Protesters say that means nothing because he won't be reelected if he runs.

AAA+
posted Hide Post
CNN is reporting that the Governor is expected to resign today.

Never goes away...
Picture of Perro Pedorro
posted Hide Post
Is this a coup attempt?

More votes equals a loss.... revolution!! The Electoral College is a disaster to Democracy. The whole world is laughing at us! donald trump

Posts: 12430 | Location: OOC | Mbr Since: 11-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
Picture of Dixie Chick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perro Pedorro:
I was about to start a topic about the massive protests in Puerto Rico, but starting a new topic when there's a decent one available just isn't my style, So I'll be respectful and not spam, but make a thoughtful contribution to truco's thread, because he always does the sameWink   ;)
So pick your favorite news source, it's all happening in the last 2 hours, and read or listen. One of the players is Yulín Cruz, mayor of San Juan, and she's spearheading the push for Gov. Rosselló to resign, but insists that the legislature exercise their constitutional powers and obligations by pursuing impeachment and removal if he doesn't. Is this a coup? Just thought I'd ask our contributors if it was, given that some insisted that any attempt, or even talk, by the duly elected legislative branch to remove an executive qualifies as a coup. Help me out here, truco. I haven't yet heard Rosselló screaming about a coup, but is this it?

If Cruz is the same Mayor that officiated after Hurricane Maria, it seemed to me that they are arch enemies. She is a Democrat and a foe of Governor Ricky and he a Republican. She is also a foe of Donald Trump so I don't know why Trump is being so hard on Governor Ricky right now.

I know there is a text scandal. Apparently, Governor Ricky (formerly Trump's BFF) wasn't involved in the measly $14 million scandal that precipitated the move for his downfall...but I guess the buck stops with him and I don't really know what the hell is going on there except as usual, the losers are the people and Trump is exploiting it as an excuse not to give Puerto Rico the funds already appropriated by Congress. My impression is Cruz is the heavyweight and Governor Ricky is relatively ineffective but I dunno.

That's all I know. EXCEPT...

Usually Charlie will start a "rebuttal" topic if he doesn't like what you posted. He thinks he can control the conversation that way. Your way is nicer and easier for us all but he doesn't deserve it. Wink   ;)

Estoy Contigo

Posts: 55582 | Location: Frogville, Georgia USA | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
posted Hide Post
Wasn't Cruz planning to run for Governor?

Never goes away...
Picture of Perro Pedorro
posted Hide Post
Is this a coup attempt?

AAA+
Picture of Dixie Chick
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm

If it walks like a coup....

If it talks like a coup.....

Estoy Contigo

AAA+
posted Hide Post
Embattled Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rosselló resigns amid public outcry

quote:
Ricky, te botamos!" ("Ricky, we threw you out!") the jubilant crowd exclaimed after the governor's announcement.

Link

AAA+
posted Hide Post
quote:
Embattled Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rosselló resigns amid public outcry

Fox 13, Tampa ran video of massive crowds in Puerto Rico celebrating the news.

AAA+
posted Hide Post
Pedro Pierluisi sworn in as governor of Puerto Rico

quote:
Former resident commissioner Pedro Pierluisi was sworn in as the new governor of Puerto Rico on Friday following days of political infighting that threatened to sideline him as outgoing Gov. Ricardo Rosselló's chosen successor.

Rosselló, who resigned his commission amid protests and scandals, named Pierluisi acting secretary of state earlier this week.

Pierluisi was confirmed by the territory's House of Representatives, but faced opposition from Senate President Thomas Rivera Schatz, who on Thursday brought down a motion to vote on Pierluisi's nomination.

Following the House's confirmation, Rivera Schatz announced that the Senate would vote on Pierluisi's nomination on Wednesday.

Rosselló had called a special session of the legislature to vote on the nomination, but ultimately used a recess appointment statute known as Law 7 to override the Senate's filibuster.

Julio Fontanet, a Puerto Rican constitutionalist, told El Nuevo Día newspaper that Rosselló's application of Law 7 was "an irresponsible act."

Fontanet said Pierluisi's governorship will ultimately be decided in the courts.

"I don't think this will go beyond next Friday," he said.

Link

AAA+
posted Hide Post
News Alert: Puerto Rico has a new governor, its third in less than a week, after a court ruled the previous one was sworn in unconstitutionally

quote:
Justice Secretary Wanda Vázquez Garced was sworn in as the new governor. She follows Pedro Pierluisi, who was appointed by ousted former governor Ricardo Rosselló, but was sworn in Friday without approval from the Senate.

Link