Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your News, Money, Sports  Hop To Forums  News    A Helluva Storm...
      Page: 1 2 3 
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

A Helluva Storm...
 Login/Register 
AAA+
Picture of ImPeach
posted
Are you okay JR?

Aantares is virtually the only thing that works. Not even my phone...not even the landline. Not even the power company site. That must have been some storm last night that we slept through.

The place is a mess but not destroyed. We are okay. No real damage, just tree limbs. ...and trees we got. I better go. Only a tad left here on my Ipad and the phone refuses to connect to anything.

No elevator...the car is in the garage (electronic). Bahhhhhh.

We’re going to be eating peanut butter on stale bread. Urp. I’m going to fast.

We were taken totally by surprise because I have had the TV off and listening to music. Nothing like keeping your head in the sand.

We have an emergency oxygen tank for the Lt. ....good for 48 hours.

We are okay.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Life isn’t fair but the government should be.”...Ann Richards, Governor of Texas

Posts: 60480 | Location: Frogville, Georgia USA | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
Oh my Peachy, stay safe! It’s been raining all morning, there are pine needles on the roof but in general we are good. We have doctors appts, and are driving into the rain but we’ll be good.

Thinking about all of you guys, especially without power that you depend on.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
Picture of ImPeach
posted Hide Post
Reed,

Still no power but phone is working now and has a decent charge. Still not able to get good info. If anybody has some, please post. Reed. If the rain you are headed into is the same storm that hit here be very careful.

“Life isn’t fair but the government should be.”...Ann Richards, Governor of Texas

Posts: 60480 | Location: Frogville, Georgia USA | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steadfast...
Picture of Ictalurus Punctatus
posted Hide Post
Watching Zeta racing up through north Georgia, the cyclonic wind speed vector on the east side of zeta is added to the movement wind speed of the storm there were very nasty winds on that side of zeta. I hope everyone gets their power back on soon. Believe me, I’m an expert in knowing how bad it sucks to have no electricity for weeks at a time. I hope it’s just hours... or days at worst.

Instead of seeking understanding, people are increasingly interpreting the actions of others in the least generous way possible and assuming the worst of intentions.

Posts: 19182 | Location: On The Beach | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steadfast...
Picture of Ictalurus Punctatus
posted Hide Post
Of course you know who just launched 60 more Starlink satellites last week... more going up next week. Coverage now is only in the very high latitudes but soon global coverage.

That means one would not need a phone or cable connection for internet access.

I know, I know, one can get satellite Internet now, but that is based on satellites that are in much higher orbits. That means latency is very high and download speeds... not that great. And it’s expensive.

But Starlink will give cheap access at 100mb speeds globally very soon.

Instead of seeking understanding, people are increasingly interpreting the actions of others in the least generous way possible and assuming the worst of intentions.

Posts: 19182 | Location: On The Beach | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
Picture of ImPeach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hide Post
Watching Zeta racing up through north Georgia, the cyclonic wind speed vector on the east side of zeta is added to the movement wind speed of the storm there were very nasty winds on that side of zeta. I hope everyone gets their power back on soon. Believe me, I’m an expert in knowing how bad it sucks to have no electricity for weeks at a time. I hope it’s just hours... or days at worst.

Most people here have generators Icky because it can be weeks as they take care of the cities first. We live in a condo now and generators aren’t part of the amenities. We were accustomed to very long outages in Atlanta due to ice storms. One lasted two weeks. We had gas heat but it was forced air and forced air needs an electric blower. We had a fireplace and it was cold enough to keep food frozen on our porch so we camped in our house with the little ones. Right now a container on our covered porch has About three inches of water. The rain must have been coming sideways.
Glad you escaped this one. The really odd thing is that it is almost November. An October storm this late would surely bring on the cold but it’s soooo hot. Tropical almost...like steam. Tornado weather. Shorts, tee shirt and at 2500 ft! It’s hard to understand weather these days.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Hey Peachy!

Glad to see y'all are doing alright. Try to stay put if you can because there are trees and power lines down everywhere. Few roads are washed out too. Over a million without power was the word this morning.

I'm ok down here.

I was awakened at 2:22 AM by a tree branch scraping against the side of the house because of the wind. I got up and made coffee and breakfast expecting to lose power at any minute. It went off a couple of minutes around 5 AM but has been fine since.

Storm moved out of the Atlanta area around 9 AM and so I went to bed for the rest of my sleep after checking on my bros and sis. One bro had a roof leak but otherwise they were fine.

Just woke up a little while ago and the sun was trying to peek out. Neighborhood looks well washed but messy with all the leaves and branches everywhere.

Don't get too comfortable with today's temperatures. It's 78 here now but expected to drop down to 49 overnight with highs in the low 60s tomorrow - and y'all are usually around 10 degrees cooler up there.

Yep, Zeta was a b*tch, but at least she was quick about it. Last one hung around for a couple of days.

Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 6590 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Perro Pedorro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The really odd thing is that it is almost November. An October storm this late would surely bring on the cold but it’s soooo hot. Tropical almost...like steam. Tornado weather. Shorts, tee shirt and at 2500 ft! It’s hard to understand weather these days.

I don't get it either, although living in a hurricane area trying to learn. Very different topography here. We're 5 years past hurricane Patricia, a bizarre late October storm that grew from a tropical depression to a monster (214 mph) within 24 hours and then fizzled the next day. Any storm hitting perpendicular runs into 3,000 ft. mountains just after a narrow coastal plain, so they don't last long. The worry is more about floods from the big ones that run parallel to the coast about 50 miles out.

More votes equals a loss.... revolution!! The Electoral College is a disaster to Democracy. The whole world is laughing at us! donald trump

Posts: 13414 | Location: OOC | Mbr Since: 11-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ImPeach:
Reed,

Still no power but phone is working now and has a decent charge. Still not able to get good info. If anybody has some, please post. Reed. If the rain you are headed into is the same storm that hit here be very careful.

Sorry I had already left home or I’d have sent info. We got hone about 5:30 and had drizzle most of the day. Driving is through mountains, and turned out not to be bad, thank goodness. Our new gutters even kept all the water out of the garage! Yea! Overnight was heavier water.

We are good here and even about 50 miles from here is good.

Hang in there ... good vibes being sent your way.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ictalurus Punctatus:
Of course you know who just launched 60 more Starlink satellites last week... more going up next week. Coverage now is only in the very high latitudes but soon global coverage.

That means one would not need a phone or cable connection for internet access.

I know, I know, one can get satellite Internet now, but that is based on satellites that are in much higher orbits. That means latency is very high and download speeds... not that great. And it’s expensive.

But Starlink will give cheap access at 100mb speeds globally very soon.

For what it is worth, my internet runs on telephone lines! There are fiber optics in other states but cell and cable are not the only options as they aren’t even options for us!

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Peachy,
Per rabun.fetchyournews.com :
RABUN COUNTY, Ga – Many residents in Rabun County are still without power after tropical storm Zeta moved through the area.

Georgia Power is reporting 19 outages and that 11,288 people are without power. The organization is currently assessing how long it will take to fully restore power.

One of the main power lines that feeds into the transmission substation is down. Georgia Power is aware, but doesn’t know when it will be repaired.

Also sky963.com, under Hurricane Zeta causes Power Outages..." it lists:
Tools You Can Use

Outage Alerts – Subscribe to the free Georgia Power Outage Alert service to receive personalized notifications and updates via text message.
Outage & Storm Center – Available at www.georgiapower.com/storm, customers can visit this site to sign up for Outage Alerts, report and check the status of outages, and access useful safety tips and information. Customers can report and check the status of an outage 24 hours a day by contacting Georgia Power at 888-891-0938.
Outage Map – Housed within the Outage & Storm Center, Georgia Power’s interactive Outage Map provides near real-time information, allowing users to see where outages are occurring across the state and track estimated restoration times.

Posts: 6590 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
JR,

I’m guessing Peachy isn’t going to stay up late into the evenings at least we don’t when we have no lights. And no heat!

Trying to think up some of the foods we’ve fixed on the 1-2 day outage we had. Normally that’s short enough to keep the fridge and freeze good. Tuna, oysters and sardines are all I can think of except maybe crackers and peanut butter! And all of this stuff seems to have salt as the first ingredient!

Right now we also have individual serving applesauce too. I used to be good at this, but now I’d just use the camp stove. Last outage over 12 hours we fired up the generator we bought when we got here and actually never used!

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Reed,
Since we tend to lose power during storms I usually keep Del Monte Fruit & Oats Snack Cups that come with strawberries/apples/pears/peaches on hand, as well as Fruit and Chia Cups and/or Dole Fruit in Gel cups around, along with the standard pb&j and tuna & crackers. Oh yeah, and my new fav Almond Butter Breakfast Biscuits.

No beenie weenies though...

A generator is quite simply too much of a hassle for me to deal with so I just don't. If I'm aware a storm is coming, I'll brew a large pot of coffee and drink it cold if I have to. Usually have iced tea in the fridge along with some pomegranate and/or mixed berry smoothie drinks.

Learned a lot going to FEMA conferences Smile-Big   :D

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
I had forgotten about the canned fruit. Since we don’t have water either we try to limit anything that needs water. We also don’t open the fridge or freezer if we can keep from it.

As for the generator, because we have medical equipment we got a portable generator which would give us water in a long haul. The house had previously been wired for the same reasons. Were we farther up north we’d have an automatic generator to carry the same minimal power. But yes, it’s a pain to hook up so we usually wait over one night before we decide to do anything!

Most of what we use comes from wilderness trips. Deli meats actually keep for a week without refrigeration. My favorite used to be Hebrew National Salami. Summer sausage is never really refrigerated before cutting and keeps about 5-7 days. Block cheese or individually wrapped makes it too. The odd one that no one would eat was rye crisp, one of the campers discovered it made better fire starter!

Because we have the camping stoves we can fix freeze dried meals, but are careful that we select the ones that are mixed in the package. We try to keep some bottled water and 5 gallons of water in a Jerry can to clean with but not drink.

And of course if we are desperate there are a few MREs around.

Of course, cooking also requires fuel, specifically ****e gas although one stove will burn kerosene.

We also keep Parmalat (milk) on the shelf.

Ultimately, we haven’t had nearly the outages we started with here. For a while once a month someone hit a power pole with a vehicle, even without snow or ice.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
One of our problems here too is when there are no lights there is NO light, none! It’s blacker than black!

AAA+
Picture of ImPeach
posted Hide Post
quote:
One of the main power lines that feeds into the transmission substation is down. Georgia Power is aware, but doesn’t know when it will be repaired.

Thanks for all the info. It’s been helpful. Not doing searches, etc very well but my phone seems to know it’s way here. Wonder why.

When I was out charging the phone I drove by our old house to see how it fared and David the Chef who now rents the cottage relayed the above that he supposedly got from a relative at Georgia Power. I didn’t want to believe it because he said At least 3-5 days, possibly more.. Ugh. What will we do? I got a new fridge and moved the old one to our basement storage room. Packed both freezers to the brim as I’m sick of grocery shopping with diseased people. It’s all thawing out. Ugh.

Later. Thanks so much . Gotta conserve.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
Peachy,
Georgia Power's Interactive Map is saying your power should be restored ...Nov 1 by 11 PM...

Sheesh!

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
From foodsafety.gov

quote:
Frozen Food and Power Outages: When to Save It and When to Throw It Out

A full freezer will hold a safe temperature for approximately 48 hours (24 hours if it is half full and the door remains closed). Food may be safely refrozen if it still contains ice crystals or is at 40°F or below, however, its quality may suffer. Never taste food to determine its safety. Use this chart as a general guide.

For what it is worth we could keep bacon 6 days in hot canoes without refrigeration. It’s the nitrates. Nevertheless the last couple of days we insisted that bacon was crisp, nearly shatter cooked. It was normally wrapped by meal so it wasn’t opened but once, but still....

And yes, I’m remembering you can’t cook yet. And the salt has probably made bacon a non issue.

It is surprising what you can cook on an open fire too. We used to steam chicken that we called pregnant chicken, on an open fire. Two sheets of foil, as we had lots of chicken, and seam it by folding over about 5-7 times. Place chicken in middle, pour bbq sauce on, seal top same kind of seam, and seal ends too. Trying not to cook too close to heat the foil expands. Seems it was 40 minutes but I don’t recall if it was whole chicken ever, just pieces. It was a church group and it was asked for subsequently. Here I’d cook in a Weber grill too. But our adventures were in the city park that had picnic space.

P.s. the website has a downloadable pdf.

Also, iirc, a neighbor collected on homeowners insurance for lost freezer food. Otherwise if the local shelter still takes donations, some won’t, id donate it especially if they had power. I expect in your area they don’t but they are likely gas. We don’t have a close shelter but one of the churches does free lunches in the winter ... just a thought.

Hang in there. And find those old blankets!

In towns I’ve kept stuff cold on the balcony, here I don’t need the critters! We also don’t really get cold until this weekend.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
Peachy,
Georgia Power's Interactive Map is saying your power should be restored ...Nov 1 by 11 PM...

Sheesh!

Here they are usually pessimistic estimates, but Sunday? Geez indeed.

It’s supposed to get cold here Saturday day!

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
Here they are usually pessimistic estimates, but Sunday? Geez indeed.

It’s supposed to get cold here Saturday day!

We reached 80 today and will be dropping to 49 by daybreak!

By Monday morning it is expected to be in the mid 30s here so it will be below freezing where Peachy lives since they are usually about 10 degrees cooler there...

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
It’s flat not good to spend too much time in low temperatures with no heat in sight. That’s definitely when I start looking for the generator. Is there a cabin system in the parks hear her? They often can have heat. Fontaine did in some cabins, not all. It’s been a while and I don’t think that’s close. Shenandoah had fireplaces but no kitchens. Tourists should be gone!

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
Has anyone seen Gus? He should have been in it a bit too, I’d think.

Enthusiast...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
Just as well I wasn't feeling sorry for myself at the beginning of the week when we had the first and only long-lasting blackout I can remember, all of six hours or so!!!

Instead, in the pale after-storm moonlight, I sat out the back with enough light to roll my cigarettes as I drank my beers.

Even better, at about 8pm a possum took a stroll along the side fence, an absolute delight as I hadn't seen one for years after quite some time when a regular couple would join me to share the birdseed.

The people's flag is deepest red It shrouded oft our martyred dead
...Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer We'll keep the red flag flying here

Posts: 3172 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aardent
Picture of Victor Laszlo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ImPeach:
Reed,

As long as you all are alright. That’s what counts.

“ Fox News has done to our parents what our parents thought video games would do to us.”

"The real threat to our democracy isn't a religion and its millions of followers but the Trump administration's abuse of power and utter contempt for the truth.”

"If there is a Muslim ban, refugees can pretend they are christians. You know, just like republicans do."

New York Post: ‘Donald Trump Jr. is an Idiot’

"Those that tell me not to talk politics cause I'm an uninformed celebrity voted for an uninformed celebrity for president." Alyssa Milano

"trump appeals to the lowest common denominator" Stephen Hawking

• "Science doesn't care what you believe"
    " I don't watch Fox News for the same reason I don't eat out of the toilet"
  •  
    Posts: 31731 | Location: from my home | Mbr Since: 10-13-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Never goes away...
    Picture of Reed N D Dark
    posted Hide Post
    Well 6 hrs is much more than we had, all clocks were still right, sobe didn’t even have a blink.

What caused your outage? Do you know? The long ones for us are often substations, but if they are isolated we get recovery between 8-12 hours usually overnight.