Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your News, Money, Sports  Hop To Forums  News    Manholes in Berkeley, California will now be called 'maintenance holes'
      Page: 1 2 3 
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Manholes in Berkeley, California will now be called 'maintenance holes'
 Login/Register 
AAA+
posted
quote:
At a Tuesday night city council meeting, Berkeley became the first city in America to ban the use of natural gas piping in new construction. But that was not the only utility-related issue they saw fit to attend to. No, there was another matter on deck: Eliminating the gendered connotations of words like "manhole" in the city municipal code.

No longer will the streets of fair Berkeley be dotted with manholes, nary a womanhole or nonbinaryhole in sight. With Tuesday night's vote, they have all been transmuted into "maintenance holes," that highest, hardest glass manhole-cover finally shattered.

Link

Posts: 116200 | Location: Sunny Florida | Mbr Since: 10-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aardent
Picture of Victor Laszlo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Netflix suffers first major loss of US subscribers, blames price hikes

Netflix didn’t add nearly as many subscribers as the company projected it would in the second quarter of 2019, and saw a loss in US subscribers for the first time since 2011, when the company separated its DVD mail-order system and streaming platform.

The company lost approximately 130,000 subscribers in the United States in Q2, and only gained 2.7 million global subscribers, after projecting it would add 5 million. CEO Reed Hastings blamed the stagnancy on the company’s price hikes, and a lack of original content to bring in new subscribers. The company instituted higher pricing plans in January, one of its biggest increases to date. Plan changes went into effect for both new and returning subscribers. As such, paid memberships in the United States were “essentially flat.”

“Our missed forecast was across all regions, but slightly more so in regions with price increases,” Hastings wrote in his letter to shareholders. “We don’t believe competition was a factor since there wasn’t a material change in the competitive landscape during Q2, and competitive intensity and our penetration is varied across regions.”

The news has led to an immediate stock drop for the company. Hastings’ letter to investors argues that the company’s next two quarters will see growth because of new seasons of Netflix successes like Stranger Things, La Casa de Papel (Money Heist), The Crown, and Orange is the New Black, which is getting a final season. Still, the stock drop and Disney, WarnerMedia, Apple, and NBC Universal’s race to create the first “Netflix killer” may be a sign that confidence in Netflix is waning.

https://www.theverge.com/platf...le-amazon-stock-drop

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“ Fox News has done to our parents what our parents thought video games would do to us.”

"The real threat to our democracy isn't a religion and its millions of followers but the Trump administration's abuse of power and utter contempt for the truth.”

"If there is a Muslim ban, refugees can pretend they are christians. You know, just like republicans do."

New York Post: ‘Donald Trump Jr. is an Idiot’

"Those that tell me not to talk politics cause I'm an uninformed celebrity voted for an uninformed celebrity for president." Alyssa Milano

"trump appeals to the lowest common denominator" Stephen Hawking

• "Science doesn't care what you believe"
    " I don't watch Fox News for the same reason I don't eat out of the toilet"
  •  
    Posts: 30416 | Location: from my home | Mbr Since: 10-13-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    AAA+
    posted Hide Post
    Political correctness is rampant in California.

Posts: 116200 | Location: Sunny Florida | Mbr Since: 10-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Never goes away...
    Picture of Perro Pedorro
    posted Hide Post
    Netflix is based in Silicon Valley, not far from Berkeley.

More votes equals a loss.... revolution!! The Electoral College is a disaster to Democracy. The whole world is laughing at us! donald trump

Posts: 12899 | Location: OOC | Mbr Since: 11-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    AAA+
    Picture of ImPeach
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Perro Pedorro:
    Netflix is based in Silicon Valley, not far from Berkeley.

Have you heard Pedro?...Netflix may have made a mistake with their price hike, stock is down.

Dix

Posts: 57120 | Location: Frogville, Georgia USA | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Enthusiast...
    posted Hide Post
    "maintenance holes,"
    LOL, that's a good one!
    I can see it now. In India, a supplier gets an order for 20 "maintenance holes," .
    WTF are "maintenance holes," ????????? Tell them we discontinued "maintenance holes," long ago- try another supplier.!

Posts: 3851 | Location: TN | Mbr Since: 11-22-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Aardent
    Picture of Gus Rodgers
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by True Conservative:
    Isn’t that awful?

The only way to stop a bad guy with a knife is a good guy with a narwhal tusk.

Posts: 30894 | Location: Dacron, Ohio | Mbr Since: 05-19-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    AAA+
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Gus Rodgers:
    quote:
    Isn’t that awful?

It is considering the statement that says "As goes California, so goes America."

AAA+
    Picture of ImPeach
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:
    Isn’t that awful?

It is considering the statement that says "As goes California, so goes America."

MANHOLES UNITE!

Posts: 57120 | Location: Frogville, Georgia USA | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Enthusiast...
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    MANHOLES UNITE!

MAN HOLES UNITE!
    Sounds like an advertisement for a queer convention.

Posts: 3851 | Location: TN | Mbr Since: 11-22-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    AAA+
    Picture of ImPeach
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pawn 10:
    quote:
    MANHOLES UNITE!

MAN HOLES UNITE!
    Sounds like an advertisement for a queer convention.

Then change it to Maintenance Holes.

Dixie

AAA+
    posted Hide Post
    The guy who was in charge of purchasing supplies at a company where I worked years ago referred to feminine napkins as manhole covers.

AAA+
    Picture of ImPeach
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    The guy who was in charge of purchasing supplies at a company where I worked years ago referred to feminine napkins as manhole covers.

I’ve never heard that.

You are incredibly vulgar.

Dixie

AAA+
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    I’ve never heard that.

I hadn't heard it either until one day I walked into the supply room and he working with some boxes. I asked him what he was doing and he said he was putting manhole covers away.

AAA+
    Picture of ImPeach
    posted Hide Post
    You. Are just gonna keep saying it as long as you can.

Not to me.

Aallegiant
    Picture of Lynn Dee
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Dixie Chick:
    quote:

I’ve never heard that.

You are incredibly vulgar.

Dixie

Isn't that something? The vulgarity that is TruCon brought that here, and he's blaming some other guy. For what? Forcing him to post it years later on this BB?

You can be sure his daughter(s) find him incredibly vulgar too. What an embarrassment he must be to them.

Zach Floyd: "I want Trump to start claiming things like he's eaten 1,000 bees in his life so we can see Scott Walker try to eat a bunch of bees." Plus: And Jeb! take the bold stand of announcing he will not be eating any bees.

Posts: 41383 | Location: SoCal by the Mall | Mbr Since: 10-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Aardent
    Picture of Gus Rodgers
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    quote:
    Isn’t that awful?

There you go. In ten to fifteen years, Florida will be exactly like California is today. Give it another ten years and the whole country will be a utopian society like Venezuela.

The only way to stop a bad guy with a knife is a good guy with a narwhal tusk.

Posts: 30894 | Location: Dacron, Ohio | Mbr Since: 05-19-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Enthusiast...
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    manhole covers

Isn't that what a chastity belt is for?

Aadmirable
    Picture of The Fox God
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    At a Tuesday night city council meeting, Berkeley became the first city in America to ban the use of natural gas piping in new construction. But that was not the only utility-related issue they saw fit to attend to. No, there was another matter on deck: Eliminating the gendered connotations of words like "manhole" in the city municipal code.

No longer will the streets of fair Berkeley be dotted with manholes, nary a womanhole or nonbinaryhole in sight. With Tuesday night's vote, they have all been transmuted into "maintenance holes," that highest, hardest glass manhole-cover finally shattered.

Link

"Maintenance hole" is a more accurate description.

Donald Trump called Ted Cruz a liar.
    Cruz called Trump a liar. I believe them both.

Posts: 49397 | Location: Metal Heaven | Mbr Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Devoted...
    Picture of Reed N D Dark
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Maintenance hole" is a more accurate description.

It certainly would have made my parents explanations of what they were! I thought a manhole was like a foxhole and not only didn’t understand why they need a cover but why they needed to be in the street and rattle everytime a car ran over it! The best they could explain was it was access to public utilities which I believed was sewer and water as the wires were above ground! And why anyone wanted to get down to a sewer or what they could possibly need to fix there was just not comprehensible. Now that I think about that maybe maintenance might not have helped much other than get rid of the original image.

Posts: 5871 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Enthusiast...
    posted Hide Post
    LOL,
    I can see using “maintenance” but I can't see any reason for using “ hole “.
    But better yet, why not do as the rest of the country does and save money to boot.
    Just put the service that is down there on the cover. As in sewer, phone, water,storm etc.stc

Aardent
    Picture of Victor Laszlo
    posted Hide Post
    i Don’t know why these two nazis even got a reply to a useless topic.

“ Fox News has done to our parents what our parents thought video games would do to us.”

"The real threat to our democracy isn't a religion and its millions of followers but the Trump administration's abuse of power and utter contempt for the truth.”

"If there is a Muslim ban, refugees can pretend they are christians. You know, just like republicans do."

New York Post: ‘Donald Trump Jr. is an Idiot’

"Those that tell me not to talk politics cause I'm an uninformed celebrity voted for an uninformed celebrity for president." Alyssa Milano

"trump appeals to the lowest common denominator" Stephen Hawking

• "Science doesn't care what you believe"
    " I don't watch Fox News for the same reason I don't eat out of the toilet"
  •  
    Posts: 30416 | Location: from my home | Mbr Since: 10-13-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Enthusiast...
    posted Hide Post
    I don't know about CT but I like commenting on the Liberal idiotic things that comes out of the land of fruits and nuts and on this board.
    Thanks for your contribution.

Aadmirable
    Picture of The Fox God
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Born Again Liberal:
    i Don’t know why these two nazis even got a reply to a useless topic.

Because one of these two nazis started a useless topic. Wink   ;)

Donald Trump called Ted Cruz a liar.
    Cruz called Trump a liar. I believe them both.

Posts: 49397 | Location: Metal Heaven | Mbr Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Enthusiast...
    posted Hide Post
    LOL
    Ya know you can start your own topic, right?