Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your News, Money, Sports  Hop To Forums  News    Walmart Abruptly Closes 63 Stores Across The Country
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Walmart Abruptly Closes 63 Stores Across The Country
 Login/Register 
AAA+
Picture of Dixie Chick
posted
Sam's Club

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Flag-Distress/SOS  :sos:

Posts: 51705 | Location: Frogville, Georgia USA | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
Picture of True Conservative
posted Hide Post
Built stores too close to each other?

Standing in the Way of Big Goverment is Not Standing in the Way of Progress

Politicians Aren’t Causing Anti-Muslim Hostility — Jihadists Are (Stacey Dash)

Proud To Be Defending President Trump

Posts: 104420 | Location: Sunny Florida | Mbr Since: 10-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
Picture of Dixie Chick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by True Conservative:

Hardly.

Once again, why don't you read news stories before you comment?

Dixie

Posts: 51705 | Location: Frogville, Georgia USA | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
Picture of True Conservative
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dixie Chick:
quote:

Hardly.

Dixie

quote:
"Transforming our business means managing our real estate portfolio — we need a strong fleet of clubs that are fit for the future. After a thorough review, it became clear we had built clubs in some locations that impacted other clubs, and where population had not grown as anticipated.

Standing in the Way of Big Goverment is Not Standing in the Way of Progress

Politicians Aren’t Causing Anti-Muslim Hostility — Jihadists Are (Stacey Dash)

Proud To Be Defending President Trump

Posts: 104420 | Location: Sunny Florida | Mbr Since: 10-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of Pawn 10
posted Hide Post
If you Liberals are so damn smart about running a business, why are you on here all day and not running your own business?

Liberals threaten to commit suicide if Trump wins in 2020, I say it time to become an undertaker.

Posts: 2825 | Location: TN | Mbr Since: 11-22-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aadmirable
Picture of The Fox God
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pawn 10:
If you Liberals are so damn smart about running a business, why are you on here all day and not running your own business?

Why are YOU on here all day?

Trump proved at Helsinki that ORANGE IS THE NEW YELLOW

Posts: 46585 | Location: Metal Heaven | Mbr Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
Picture of Dixie Chick
posted Hide Post
quote:

Pawn,

I worked outside the home for many years as an independent contractor. I made enough money so that my two sons didn't have to get student loans and I invested, bought Iras and SEPPs and saved my money so that was able to retire 13 years early. I never have to work another day if I don't want to and I don't. I do not have a pension, I live off the money I saved from my own wages.

I do have other hobbies and interests and truly, none of it is your business but I hope this answers your question.

Dixie

Enthusiast...
Picture of Pawn 10
posted Hide Post
quote:

I retired twice and sold both my businesses. So I have plenty of time to make liberal heads explode.

Liberals threaten to commit suicide if Trump wins in 2020, I say it time to become an undertaker.

Posts: 2825 | Location: TN | Mbr Since: 11-22-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of Pawn 10
posted Hide Post
See; http://aantares.com/eve/forums...6052334/m/2880026986

AAA+
Picture of Dixie Chick
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hardly.

Dixie

quote:
"Transforming our business means managing our real estate portfolio — we need a strong fleet of clubs that are fit for the future. After a thorough review, it became clear we had built clubs in some locations that impacted other clubs, and where population had not grown as anticipated.

I'm surprised you missed this and what it suggests about the future of retailing. Think Amazon.

quote:

Walmart "is taking prudent steps to prepare for the next generation of retail warfare, one in which speed will be king and delivery will be judged by hours and not days," Cowen and Co. analyst Oliver Chen wrote in a note to clients Friday morning.

"We believe Sam's Club leadership will continue to execute against other initiatives ... as management noted that while results have improved over the last several quarters, the retailer can do better as Sam's Club has under-performed club peers," Chen said. Those competitors include Costco, BJ's Wholesale Club and Boxed.

Moving forward, many analysts anticipate Sam's Club will focus on growing its e-commerce business, amassing a higher-quality grocery selection, marketing its private labels and finding new members

Never goes away...
Picture of Perro Pedorro
posted Hide Post
quote:
So I have plenty of time to make liberal heads explode.
Gawd no, pawn. That'd only happen if we took you seriously. Yes, I know libs are compassionate and we have pity for the intellectually challenged--- but bless you for making us laugh. ROTF   :rotf: ROTF   :rotf: ROTF   :rotf:

More votes equals a loss.... revolution!! The Electoral College is a disaster to Democracy. The whole world is laughing at us! donald trump

Posts: 10697 | Location: OOC | Mbr Since: 11-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aadmirable
Picture of The Fox God
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I retired twice and sold both my businesses. So I have plenty of time to make liberal heads explode.

And I have plenty of time to do the same to tiki-torch alt-righters.

Trump proved at Helsinki that ORANGE IS THE NEW YELLOW

Posts: 46585 | Location: Metal Heaven | Mbr Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm surprised you missed this and what it suggests about the future of retailing. Think Amazon.

quote:

Walmart "is taking prudent steps to prepare for the next generation of retail warfare, one in which speed will be king and delivery will be judged by hours and not days," Cowen and Co. analyst Oliver Chen wrote in a note to clients Friday morning.

"We believe Sam's Club leadership will continue to execute against other initiatives ... as management noted that while results have improved over the last several quarters, the retailer can do better as Sam's Club has under-performed club peers," Chen said. Those competitors include Costco, BJ's Wholesale Club and Boxed.

Moving forward, many analysts anticipate Sam's Club will focus on growing its e-commerce business, amassing a higher-quality grocery selection, marketing its private labels and finding new members
Yeah, he does jump to conclusions without reading the entire articles and then applying some critical thinking to what he has read.

I think the situation to be similar to what happened in S.E. Virginia (and elsewhere?) back in the 1970s. Prior to then, there were some well-dispersed competitors in the lumber/hardware business. Moore's, 84, and Kempsville were closest to my location but widely dispersed (with a few "mom & pop" hardware businesses interspersed). Then came the others (Builder's Square, Home Depot, HQ, and Lowe's). They plopped themselves among the others (with Home Depot and Lowe's building within the same city block and even across the street from each other). One by one the others began shuttering their doors as competition raged. First it was the "mom & pops" ... then the bigger stores (Moore's, Builder's Square, and HQ). Kempsville downsized & specialized in custom made stuff (windows, doors, etc,) and all but got out of the handy-hardware neighborhood supplies business. 84 relocated further west. Now it's just Lowe's & HomeDepot ... pretty much across the street or just down the block from each other... and with their other stores pretty much within a five mile radius of each other. Their prices are within a few cents of each other for most building supplies and hardware.

Sam's Clubs are the first to succumb, but I think BJ's might also bow out... pretty much leaving Costco to dominate the market. While Walmart does home, gardening, electronics. etc., I think they are seriously going after FOOD CHAINS now. One good incentive, to kill competitors, is to offer higher wages and still be in the same general location where the competitors workforce will "make the switch". Then having pretty much killed off competitors (in the grocery store business), they'll be free to dictate prices to consumers.

Feeling picked on... no one likes you? Maybe it's not THEM at all.

Posts: 23136 | Location: VA | Mbr Since: 11-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Perro Pedorro
posted Hide Post
quote:
he does jump to conclusions without reading the entire articles and then applying some critical thinking to what he has read.
Never!.... NEVER!!! Reading and applying critical thinking would be admitting defeat to those that "just know" things, like trump. Death before dishonor! Rant   :rant:

More votes equals a loss.... revolution!! The Electoral College is a disaster to Democracy. The whole world is laughing at us! donald trump

Posts: 10697 | Location: OOC | Mbr Since: 11-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Here to stay...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anti-Fascism:
quote:

quote:

Yeah, he does jump to conclusions without reading the entire articles and then applying some critical thinking to what he has read.

I think the situation to be similar to what happened in S.E. Virginia (and elsewhere?) back in the 1970s. Prior to then, there were some well-dispersed competitors in the lumber/hardware business. Moore's, 84, and Kempsville were closest to my location but widely dispersed (with a few "mom & pop" hardware businesses interspersed). Then came the others (Builder's Square, Home Depot, HQ, and Lowe's). They plopped themselves among the others (with Home Depot and Lowe's building within the same city block and even across the street from each other). One by one the others began shuttering their doors as competition raged. First it was the "mom & pops" ... then the bigger stores (Moore's, Builder's Square, and HQ). Kempsville downsized & specialized in custom made stuff (windows, doors, etc,) and all but got out of the handy-hardware neighborhood supplies business. 84 relocated further west. Now it's just Lowe's & HomeDepot ... pretty much across the street or just down the block from each other... and with their other stores pretty much within a five mile radius of each other. Their prices are within a few cents of each other for most building supplies and hardware.

Sam's Clubs are the first to succumb, but I think BJ's might also bow out... pretty much leaving Costco to dominate the market. While Walmart does home, gardening, electronics. etc., I think they are seriously going after FOOD CHAINS now. One good incentive, to kill competitors, is to offer higher wages and still be in the same general location where the competitors workforce will "make the switch". Then having pretty much killed off competitors (in the grocery store business), they'll be free to dictate prices to consumers.

When builders square came to out Va area, Lowe’s closedand we had to go farther to find them. Then builders square closed and more than a few years later Lowe’s is back in an extension of the plaza they closed in and flourishing. There originalclaim was their building was too small and they were moving.
Where I now live I believe Home Depot and Lowe’s both moved and now are in adjoining plazas! Guess who took over the old Lowe’s store after several years? Sams!

Posts: 1478 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aavid
Picture of Gus Rodgers
posted Hide Post
It’s worse than Venezuela!

In the country of blind trusts, the one-eyed trust is king.

Posts: 27721 | Location: Dacron, Ohio | Mbr Since: 05-19-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aavid
Picture of Gus Rodgers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kicked by Costco.

Posts: 27721 | Location: Dacron, Ohio | Mbr Since: 05-19-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aardent
Picture of BullDoug
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think they are seriously going after FOOD CHAINS now. One good incentive, to kill competitors, is to offer higher wages and still be in the same general location where the competitors workforce will "make the switch". Then having pretty much killed off competitors (in the grocery store business), they'll be free to dictate prices to consumers.

Sorry but I am fairly sure the opposite was actually the situation. Grocery stores had become very highly unionized and the big box general stores could staff their grocery sections with much lower paid help and checkers. Grocery operates on very low margins as much of their inventory was standard commodities. Therefore the only way to undercut prices was by cutting labor costs. At least I know that was originally the case.

In a time of universal deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Posts: 31029 | Location: west | Mbr Since: 11-25-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aavid
Picture of Gus Rodgers
posted Hide Post
TGT is said to be “targeted” for a takeover by AMZN.

Admin
posted Hide Post

Doug,

I'm no insider or expert, but am just observing what has happened here, locally, over the years. I think the model/strategy has changed over time. Walmart did try under pricing competitors.

2000: Walmart Charged with Predatory Pricing .

They tried pricing below cost. Then they expanded their grocery departments with more/better selection. Then they added more stores.

Costco (bulk grocery items), for example, still seems to be doing ok. WALMART's parking lot is always packed (they're open 24hrs)... but grocery chains (not open 24hrs -- FarmFresh, FoodLion, Kroger, etc.) are still managing to compete. Their parking lots are hardly ever even 1/2 full, so, I figure they're feeling the heat.

Now, with wages going up at Walmart, I think workers and managers at competitors will be looking to change loyalties (because their current employers won't be able to match offers).

Of course, all local stores are now challenged with online ordering with pickup/delivery options (Amazon is moving into this market locally) so Walmart is stepping up into that area as well.

I look at what has happened with DRUG Stores. We used to have several local & regional stores (Bayside, Peoples, Irwins, Eckerd--are all gone now). The big chains (CVS, RiteAid, Walgreens) have killed them off.

One example was when Walgreens bought a corner lot and began building right across that intersection from Bayside Pharmacy (on Shore Drive). As the new construction got underway... a Walgreens Rep. entered Bayside and told everyone there they would have a job across the street if they wanted one. When Walgreens opened their doors, Bayside closed theirs... just like that--poof!

Posts: 23136 | Location: VA | Mbr Since: 11-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
quote:
Originally posted by Anti-Fascism:
quote:

quote:

When builders square came to out Va area, Lowe’s closed and we had to go farther to find them. Then builders square closed and more than a few years later Lowe’s is back in an extension of the plaza they closed in and flourishing. There original claim was their building was too small and they were moving.
Where I now live I believe Home Depot and Lowe’s both moved and now are in adjoining plazas! Guess who took over the old Lowe’s store after several years? Sams!
Reed N D Dark,

I think an additional factor (for multi-store-chains competition) is potential for population growth. When I moved to VaBch, the population was around 80K. It is now 450K+ and still growing. Back then, there was enough wide-dispersal of store locations that competitors all did "ok". Then the big chain stores began cutting into those individual market locations (not as bad as a 7/11 on every block... but that was the trend or so it seems). Your description of Lowe's & HomeDepot being in adjoining PLAZAS is very much like what exists here now (and, sadly, the last "mom & pop" hardware store, on Shore Drive near Bayside... finally closed its doors last year).

With prices between the two being nearly identical; I think that HomeDepot is really feeling some pressure here. They used to give a 10% military discount on everything (just show your Military ID and get 10% off of your entire purchase). But, HomeDepot has STOPPED doing that on "building/construction materials" (lumber, concrete, fencing, etc.).

Lowe's still gives that discount on ALL items. This would not be significant, except that this area is saturated with MILITARY (active duty, reserves and retirees). Myself, and many military friends and neighbors, now always go to Lowe's when purchasing those particular items.