Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your News, Money, Sports  Hop To Forums  News    Florida Gov. DeSantis signs ‘sanctuary cities’ ban into law
Go To
Post
Search BB
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies
Reply
  
Florida Gov. DeSantis signs ‘sanctuary cities’ ban into law
 Login/Register 
AAA+
Picture of True Conservative
posted
quote:
Fulfilling a key, controversial campaign promise popular with his party’s base, Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a bill Friday that will ban so-called “sanctuary cities” in Florida, though the policy is expected to draw a legal skirmish over its constitutionality as it goes into effect next month.

The bill, SB 168, requires local and state law enforcement officials and entities to honor federal “immigration detainer” requests, which ask a law enforcement agency to detain someone on probable cause that they are “removable” under federal immigration laws. It also prohibits local officials from implementing “sanctuary” policies, which had previously not been defined in state law, and gives the governor the authority to remove them if they do not comply with the law. There are no “sanctuary cities” in Florida.

Joined by ally U.S. Rep. Matt Gaetz, who represents the area, and bill sponsor state Sen. Joe Gruters, R-Sarasota, DeSantis told a packed crowd in the chambers of the Okaloosa County Commission that the bill “is about the rule of law” and “public safety.”




Link


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Impeachment Is Sad For The Country When It's An Attempt To Overturn An Election

Ron Paul: Impeachment.....Or CIA Coup?

Proud To Be Defending President Trump
 
Posts: 115401 | Location: Sunny Florida | Mbr Since: 10-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Zealot...
Picture of Holy Bhagworm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by True Conservative:
quote:
Fulfilling a key, controversial campaign promise popular with his party’s base, Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a bill Friday that will ban so-called “sanctuary cities” in Florida, though the policy is expected to draw a legal skirmish over its constitutionality as it goes into effect next month.

The bill, SB 168, requires local and state law enforcement officials and entities to honor federal “immigration detainer” requests, which ask a law enforcement agency to detain someone on probable cause that they are “removable” under federal immigration laws. It also prohibits local officials from implementing “sanctuary” policies, which had previously not been defined in state law, and gives the governor the authority to remove them if they do not comply with the law. There are no “sanctuary cities” in Florida.

Joined by ally U.S. Rep. Matt Gaetz, who represents the area, and bill sponsor state Sen. Joe Gruters, R-Sarasota, DeSantis told a packed crowd in the chambers of the Okaloosa County Commission that the bill “is about the rule of law” and “public safety.”




Link


I don't know why you're so happy. I'm certain that where you live would be considered a sanctuary city in most of the northern, northeastern, and western states...and definitely the midwest. Be careful...desantis is looking for you and your ilk.

HB
 
Posts: 22821 | Location: 1 | Mbr Since: 08-11-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
Picture of True Conservative
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know why you're so happy


I don't believe protecting illegal immigrants from ICE is a good thing.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Impeachment Is Sad For The Country When It's An Attempt To Overturn An Election

Ron Paul: Impeachment.....Or CIA Coup?

Proud To Be Defending President Trump
 
Posts: 115401 | Location: Sunny Florida | Mbr Since: 10-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
I remember the origin of so called sanctuary cities coming from border states who got fed up with having to pay the bills to hold people until ICE got around to picking them up. Their conclusion was we are no longer doing the Feds work for them, nor are we paying that unreimbursed bill anymore!
 
Posts: 5249 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
I remember the origin of so called sanctuary cities coming from border states who got fed up with having to pay the bills to hold people until ICE got around to picking them up. Their conclusion was we are no longer doing the Feds work for them, nor are we paying that unreimbursed bill anymore!

Yep!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny
 
Posts: 4337 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
I remember the origin of so called sanctuary cities coming from border states who got fed up with having to pay the bills to hold people until ICE got around to picking them up. Their conclusion was we are no longer doing the Feds work for them, nor are we paying that unreimbursed bill anymore!

Yep!


Thanks, I was beginning to think I was the one in a parallel universe!
 
Posts: 5249 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
Picture of True Conservative
posted Hide Post
quote:
The specific name “sanctuary cities” comes from 1980s protests against federal immigration policies that denied asylum to refugees from El Salvador and Guatemala. San Francisco led the way by passing a city ordinance in 1985 that specifically forbade city police or civil magistrates from assisting federal immigration officers. Other cities followed suit. So too did organizations not licensed by the state, like churches. One recalls the ferocity of Father Luis Olivares, pastor of La Placito in Los Angeles, who designated his church as a “sanctuary” for the poor, homeless, and the undocumented. More recently, sanctuary cities have pushed back against aggressive federal deportation under George W. Bush and Barack Obama. There are more than 300 jurisdictions (cities and counties) around the country that withhold cooperation from federal immigration officers today.


https://tropicsofmeta.com/2017...of-sanctuary-cities/


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Impeachment Is Sad For The Country When It's An Attempt To Overturn An Election

Ron Paul: Impeachment.....Or CIA Coup?

Proud To Be Defending President Trump
 
Posts: 115401 | Location: Sunny Florida | Mbr Since: 10-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
Interestingly. TCs link argues thasancuary cities predate the 1980s


Safe cities are following the laws as Republicans have repeated noted about states rights

quote:
Police departments support sanctuary policies
That’s why so many law enforcement officers support sanctuary city policies. That includes the Fraternal Order of Police, a membership organization which endorsed Donald Trump in the 2016 election but has since told him to back off the idea of punishing cities or their police departments for immigrant-friendly sanctuary policies.

Here are some op-eds from law enforcement officers about why they support sanctuary policies. This is just a small sampling of the dozens of law enforcement officials who have spoken out in favor of sanctuary cities:

Tampa Bay, FL: Why sheriffs, feds are at odds on immigration
Sioux County, IA: Sheriff responds to ‘sanctuary’
Texas: Texas sheriffs: SB4 burdens law enforcement, local taxpayers
 
Posts: 5249 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

    Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your News, Money, Sports  Hop To Forums  News    Florida Gov. DeSantis signs ‘sanctuary cities’ ban into law

© 2003-2019 Aantares Online LLC. All Rights Reserved.