Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your Lifestyle & Culture  Hop To Forums  Military    Disputed Waters: Control of South China Sea
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Disputed Waters: Control of South China Sea
 Login/Register

Admin
posted
quote:
US warships in 'serious incident' with China – military chiefs

Chinese defence chiefs have said US warships entered their waters and had to be confronted by vessels and aircraft in the South China Sea.

The latest clash comes amid the ongoing feud between the two powers over the disputed waters which are claimed by Beijing.

China accused the vessels USS Higgins and the USS Antietam of coming too close to the Parcel Islands.

Warships and aircraft from the People’s Liberation Army were deployed to warn off the US warships.

Beijing and Washington have been at loggerheads over the sea for the better part of two years since a ruling by the UN against China.

Posts: 24927 | Location: VA | Mbr Since: 11-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin
posted Hide Post

Posts: 24927 | Location: VA | Mbr Since: 11-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin
posted Hide Post

Enthusiast...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:

This seems a bit like the Palestinian stand off about who has access to land!

Posts: 4260 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin
posted Hide Post
quote:
US Aircraft Carrier Patrols Disputed Sea Amid China Buildup

The U.S. military has deployed the third aircraft carrier this year to patrol the disputed South China Sea, where Washington has criticized China's military buildup on new man-made islands.

The 97,000-ton USS Ronald Reagan, carrying more than 70 aircraft, anchored in Manila Bay on Tuesday after plying the strategic waters for meetings between navy officials of the two countries and liberty for its thousands of sailors after weeks at sea.

The U.S. military presence in the region "has supported our ability to defend our nation and our allies" and "promotes our ability to safeguard freedom of the seas, unimpeded commerce, to deter conflict and coercion and to promote adherence to rules-based international order," Rear Admiral Marc Dalton told reporters on board the ship.

Two other American carriers earlier patrolled the waterway, where China and five other governments have been locked in decades of disputes over territories that straddle some of the world's busiest sea lanes. Some areas are believed to have undersea deposits of natural gas and oil.

China has reportedly deployed anti-ship missiles, surface-to-air missiles, electronic jammers and other equipment on islands it built on disputed reefs in the Spratly Islands, and landed a bomber aircraft on Woody Island in the Paracels, sparking alarm among rival claimants and the United States. Washington has no territorial claims in the region but has declared that freedom of navigation and overflight in the waters is in U.S. national interest.

Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anti-Fascism:
[QUOTE] US Aircraft Carrier Patrols Disputed Sea Amid China Buildup
The U.S. military has deployed the third aircraft carrier this year to patrol the disputed South China Sea, where Washington has criticized China's military buildup on new man-made islands.
The 97,000-ton USS Ronald Reagan, carrying more than 70 aircraft, anchored in Manila Bay on Tuesday after plying the strategic waters for meetings between navy officials of the two countries and liberty for its thousands of sailors after weeks at sea.
The U.S. military presence in the region "has supported our ability to defend our nation and our allies" and "promotes our ability to safeguard freedom of the seas, unimpeded commerce, to deter conflict and coercion and to promote adherence to rules-based international order," Rear Admiral Marc Dalton told reporters on board the ship.
Two other American carriers earlier patrolled the waterway, where China and five other governments have been locked in decades of disputes over territories that straddle some of the world's busiest sea lanes. Some areas are believed to have undersea deposits of natural gas and oil.
China has reportedly deployed anti-ship missiles, surface-to-air missiles, electronic jammers and other equipment on islands it built on disputed reefs in the Spratly Islands, and landed a bomber aircraft on Woody Island in the Paracels, sparking alarm among rival claimants and the United States. Washington has no territorial claims in the region but has declared that freedom of navigation and overflight in the waters is in U.S. national interest.

China is naturally enough protecting its own coast line.

How many military and air force bases has the US in distant foreign countries?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The people's flag is deepest red It shrouded oft our martyred dead
...Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer We'll keep the red flag flying here

Posts: 1527 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
quote:
Originally posted by Anti-Fascism:
[QUOTE] US Aircraft Carrier Patrols Disputed Sea Amid China Buildup

As I understand the situation China is extending its borders by reclaiming land from the sea floor. This is in an international shipping lane, and threatens the Japanese islands. As for counting foreign bases I’m not sure of the distinction between military and Air Force bases.

There also was a dispute about where international waters start, China claiming farther from shore than the internationally norm.

Posts: 4260 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin
posted Hide Post

Reed,

At the time I was thinking of places like Qatar's Al Udeid Air Base, when speaking of "military and air force bases". That is to say, "our military bases" as opposed to use of others' bases that we might utilize when conducting actual acts of defense or aggression (not just training). But perhaps that's not a distinction worth noting.

I think the U.S. has at least twice the presence (bases), more than any other nation, across the planet. IMO, China has every right to defend its interests, just as we do. International Law and Agreements should be used to adjudicate the boundaries... not unnecessary and dangerous bravado.

...just my 2¢   :2cents:

Enthusiast...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
I’m alway intrigued when we believe what we are doing is always honorable, but when others do the same thing it isn’t! We seem to have allowed that philosophy to creep into our politics too!

As for the bases in other countries I had forgotten we used others that we didn’t consider ours. I remember giving a few back, but I thought those had actually bent “ours”. Mostly Navy, iirc.

Admin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:

Allan,

This is from 2015, but is an indication of how the U.S. seems to think it OWNS the world OR to expand its military reach while other nations aren't allowed to do the same?
quote:
...the United States still maintains nearly 800 military bases in more than 70 countries and territories abroad—from giant “Little Americas” to small radar facilities. Britain, France and Russia, by contrast, have about 30 foreign bases combined.
Do we really need all of those, OR do we just keep feeding the military-industrial complex about which Eisenhower warned us? IMO: one might be able to justify the former, but I think the latter to be the underlying cause (keep feeding those corporations, that essentially OWN our government).

...just my 2¢   :2cents:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DJT's THEME SONG:

~ I know, you know, that I'm not telling the truth. ~

~ I know, you know, they're busy gathering proof. ~

~ Embrace my deceptions - learn how to bend, ~

~ Or these investigations will surely mean my end. ~

(loosely adapted from the TV Show "Psych" Lyrics, performed by "The Friendly Indians")