Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your Aantares.com  Hop To Forums  Announcements & News    All Fall Down
      Page: 1 2 3 
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

All Fall Down
 Login/Register 
Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted
     This age of technology is fraught with unexpected events: Earlier this week my modem's lights went dark, closing my window to the world. This man was, for a time, an island in a silent cybernetic sea. Some advantages accrued from that, but I can't deny I wondered who had murdered whom I was away. My Internet Provider divined my anguish and in three short days replaced the modem with one that has more lights than the original, and the lights have two new colors! As if the modem crisis were not excitement enough, my clock, which resets itself after power failures and changes the time it shows depending on daylight saving requirements, decided it was in the Central zone instead of the Mountain States, where it presently resides. I can accept that, but it caused me to show up exactly an hour early for my dental prophylaxis. I would not have minded, except the hygienist didn't offer to share her lunch with me.  
Seán

Posts: 6520 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Mbr Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
     She may have hesitated because of embarrassment. All she had was carrot strips and something in a little thermos jug.
Seán

Posts: 6520 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Mbr Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
     I had an interesting experience on October 2: About 6 AM I woke up because my throat burned terribly. Worse still, my vision was so foggy that, while I could see my blurry hand, I could not count my fingers. "Oh, oh." I muttered to myself, "I think I'm going blind." Full conscious returning, I quickly realized there was a fire in my house but there was too much smoke to see its source. That was a great relief.
     Opening a few outside doors and turning on the fan in my swamp cooler soon blew enough smoke away to reveal the floor furnace was the culprit. The morning air was chilly, but I didn't take the time to put on warmer clothes before going for the garden hose, which I used to quench the fire (and create a dreadful mess). When there was no more evidence of fire I took time to call the firemen because I thought they might be interested. Sure enough, a crew of them in an enormous fire truck arrived about twenty minutes later. Equipped with saws and axes and some sort of carpet ripper-upper, they speedily wreaked havoc on my treasured hardwood floor. When fully satisfied the fire was out they packed up their tools and went away to, I hope, enjoy a pleasant breakfast. The fireman in charge did promise to give me a copy of his report to be used for insurance purposes, but I haven't seen it yet.
Seán
(To be continued.)

Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
     I am astonished to learn how many things my fire insurance fails to cover. Even if I had read the fine print thoroughly, which I hadn't, I would not have noticed some exclusions. The furnace, for example, was not covered because it is what caused the fire. That means I must pay for a new furnace and its installation. On the bright side, the firemen destroyed about 3 square yards of carpeting, but since what they destroyed matches about 100 square yards of carpet in the halls and living room, insurance will pay to re-carpet the entire area. Also they will pay to clean, paint and deodorize the whole house interior. And dust and deodorize approximately 5000 books.
Smoky Seán

Chronic...
posted Hide Post
Just remember, smoke can be hazardous!

Posts: 8457 | Location: Colorado | Mbr Since: 10-17-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
quote:
...smoke can be hazardous!

I was lucky; my doctor found no problems and I feel OK except for great fatigue resulting from long hours spent cleaning up the mess. A new furnace is scheduled for installation tomorrow and the next day. The furnace will be welcome but I really dread the hassle.
     Even after many baths and launderings of clothes people still tell me I have a strongly smoky odor. I wouldn't know that, were I not informed; my nose is on vacation.
Seán

Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
     Lucky again! The new furnace is sufficiently installed to be usable, just in time for the first chill night this season. The house remains an unholy mess but, at least, it is a toasty mess.
Seán, simmering in squalor.

Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
Glacial. They came, they went and, but for the furnace, which still lacks one of its two convection fans, my status is completely quo, excepting I've moved most of the furniture from the living room to the library, where nothing is now accessible that anyone might need or want. The manual for my answering machine, as an example, is somewhere there entombed. Thus, every time there is a message, I'm told there has been a power failure before I get input from the caller. Darn right there's been a power failure: Earlier this week there was a windstorm that put the lights out four times in a single hour. I've learned improvising can be a lot of fun, especially if one's life depends upon it.
Seán

Chronic...
posted Hide Post
Ack. Ack. ACK!

Posts: 8457 | Location: Colorado | Mbr Since: 10-17-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
     A large check, adequate to pay for repairing all damages from the fire, came from my insurance company yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately my erstwhile mortgage company was designated as co-payee. Since my mortgage was paid off many years ago and the company is now defunct, my bank refused to accept the check in the absence of a co-signer. I called my insurance agent, he corrected my records to show me as sole owner, and said the check would be reissued in my name. I'm writing this to warn anyone with an insurance policy issued while they still were carrying a mortgage, to tell their insurance company when the mortgage is paid off.
Seán

Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting for a city inspector to approve the installation of the new furnace. I was allowed to choose the day but had to leave the hour open. That effectively tethers me until they choose to come. Apparently they think there's nothing better I could do, and I suppose they're right.
Seán

Admin
Picture of *CJ
posted Hide Post

The Continuing Adventures of Sean And...

I just can't seem to leave you alone without you finding some trouble to get into.

You know this is why we can't have nice things, right?

LOL!   :lol:

*CJ

Posts: 16478 | Location: Austin, TX USA | Mbr Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
quote:
You know this is why we can't have nice things, right?—*CJ

Rest assured there's someone else to blame, but I need some time to identify the rascal. To shield your sensibilities I suspended my narration while doing battle with my insurers and a cackle of contractors. Neither group could understand my wish to repair two holes in the oaken floor with matching flooring boards instead of plywood patches, After all, as they maintained, the area would be carpeted, so the patches wouldn't show. To one who never bluffs or tries to fill an inside straight, patchwork is abhorrent. Eventually I won the day, but not without some damage to my pocketbook. I never win at poker, either.
Seán

Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
Oh, joy! A crew will dedicate itself to restoring my floor on the morning of November 20. This will be a good thing because it will end the nightmares about falling into a sinister black chasm. I expect the good thing to continue approximately two days. But I am very brave and patient. Meanwhile, I must choose a carpet. Sexist as it seems, I'll try to get a woman to give me help with that.
Seán

Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
Carpet's chosen. A male artist volunteered to help me make the choice; very diffident he was, fearing to over-ride my preferences with his own. I'm fairly sure my choice met with his approval because he made no involuntary retching noises, or anything like that. My joy is somewhat tempered because I had to shell out $53 as payment for an estimate of the total cost of installation. That amount is refundable however, if I accept their bid. The carpet is basically a pearly gray with a touch of purple added; they call the color "Thistle", but I can't imagine why.
Seán

Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
The estimate for repairing and painting walls and ceilings will be done November 20 at no cost to me. Navajo White will the color. After everything is finished I may have to move, unworthy as I am of such magnificence.
Seán

Chronic...
posted Hide Post
Move? But aren't you now snug as a bug in a rug?

Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
quote:
But aren't you now snug as a bug in a rug?

Relatively speaking, yes. My rug bugs have filed a grievance procedure.

Chronic...
posted Hide Post
Oh well, in case case, call the SWAT team to do a RAID.

Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
I should have told you: The entire carpet must be replaced. For me that is not a bad thing because I've always hated it. Our parting will be delayed a bit: While the walls and ceilings are being washed to remove the smoke deposits and subsequently painted, it will be the drop-cloth. That why the bugs have filed a complaint.
Seán