Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your Aantares.com  Hop To Forums  Announcements & News    All Fall Down
      Page: 1 2 3 
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

All Fall Down
 Login/Register 
Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
I hadn't thought of it before, but there have been enough paintings hanging on my walls to stock a small (and somewhat second-rate) museum. I took all of them down today and hid them in a surplus closet so the cleaning crew, which arrives tomorrow, can work its magic unimpeded. I find I like the bare walls better than I did when they were cluttered up with pictures; except for a few that have some special meaning to me I think I'll leave them mostly stored away.
Seán

Posts: 6520 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Mbr Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
The cleaning crew was a no-show. Monday is now the target date. Annoyed at first, I find I really do not care because it gives me time to arrange the furniture in the centers of the rooms, thus exposing all walls for washing. Not comfortable, but cozy.

A kind friend of mine brought Thanksgiving dinner. It included the obligatory peas and carrots, but the carrots were cut precisely into 6 millimeter cubes. I keep wondering how that was achieved; next chance I have, I'll ask.
Seán

Posts: 6520 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Mbr Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chronic...
posted Hide Post
quote:
the carrots were cut precisely into 6 millimeter cubes.

Sounds like a square meal!

Posts: 8264 | Location: Colorado | Mbr Since: 10-17-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Zealot...
posted Hide Post

Sean,

I trust that you had an enjoyable as possible holiday... perhaps you'll have things put back together by the new year?

Posts: 20537 | Location: VA | Mbr Since: 11-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
Karl,
     Speaking as one who only just escaped being fricasseed, my thanksgiving was more than usually sincere. Moreover, the clean-up crew completed its work this morning and bade me adieu until the painting and carpet-replacement is complete, for which I'm doubly grateful. Lacking firm execution dates for the latter tasks, I can only hope my home will be livable by Christmas.
     I am the sole remaining occupant of a place that erstwhile housed a large and acquisitive family. Mounds of stuff must be inspected and disposed of: That will elicit many memories and a spate of blubbering.
Seán

Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
One thing I've learned from this is that the very smallest piece of Victorian furniture was required by law to weigh at least 200 pounds and have the highest center of gravity achievable by art or craftsmanship.

Chronic...
posted Hide Post
Who wrote that law? A lawyer who wanted to sue somebody for causing an accident?

Henry

Posts: 8264 | Location: Colorado | Mbr Since: 10-17-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who wrote that law?

There is a touch of poetic license in my statement. During Victoria's time heavy-duty servants were a sixpence the dozen and homeowners faced few penalties for domestic injuries.

The painters called at four o'clock this afternoon, informing me they'd like to start early Wednesday morning and I readily consented. That means tomorrow will be spent boxing ornaments, breakables and books and meditating on the folly of possessing. We were born with skin and, later on, were issued hair and teeth. That should be enough for anyone.
Seán

Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
The painters spent the livelong day patching defects in the walls and still have more spackling for tomorrow. They have great pride in their good work and at day's end fished for praise like very children. I gave it freely because, in truth, they really did deserve it. Best of all, from my perspective, is that they left a neat and tidy room where I can rest my weary head tonight.
Seán

Zealot...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
Karl,
     Speaking as one who only just escaped being fricasseed, my thanksgiving was more than usually sincere. Moreover, the clean-up crew completed its work this morning and bade me adieu until the painting and carpet-replacement is complete, for which I'm doubly grateful. Lacking firm execution dates for the latter tasks, I can only hope my home will be livable by Christmas.
     I am the sole remaining occupant of a place that erstwhile housed a large and acquisitive family. Mounds of stuff must be inspected and disposed of: That will elicit many memories and a spate of blubbering.
Seán
Take your time with such things, Sean... both you and those who've moved on deserve every moment that you can spare.

Posts: 20537 | Location: VA | Mbr Since: 11-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
quote:
Take your time with such things, Sean... both you and those who've moved on deserve every moment that you can spare.—Karl

Sometimes I wonder. Yesterday, buried deep within a long-forgotten closet, I found six dandelion-yellow pre-teenage T-shirts. I have no inkling who their owner was, but they show no signs of usage so I know the little blighter had taste enough not to wear the things in public.
Seán

Zealot...
posted Hide Post
quote:
dandelion-yellow
I can relate. In H.S. our class colors were voted to be Kelley-Green and Yellow (not unlike the colors pictured here. I hated those colors. In fact; in my freshman year, I picked-out a nice warm Navy-Blue and Gold winter coat to shield me against the REAL WINTERS we had (way back then), as I traveled to & from school (an hour each way on an often ill-heated city bus)... for fours years.

I just liked those colors, no one in my family was "Navy" ... and perhaps that color scheme served me subconsciously, in later years, when I chose to join the Navy (my dad and step-mom were both WWII Army Veterans and so were close relatives, and my 3-year older brother was in the Air Force when I joined the Navy).

Anyway, perhaps a bottle of bleach could FADE that yellow and then they could be donated to some needy cause?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NEVER appease, capitulate-to, or cooperate-with a FASCIST government!
FASCISM = Corporate OWNERSHIP of Government

Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyway, perhaps a bottle of bleach could FADE that yellow and then they could be donated to some needy cause?—Karl

After reflecting that the male of most species is more gaudily adorned than the female, I'm wondering why humans elect to differ. If there lives a boy with guts enough to wear my yellow Tee-shirts, I say more power to him! Therefore I'm anonymously donating them, unbleached, to Goodwill (concealed in plain brown wrapping paper).
Seán

Zealot...
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Anyway, perhaps a bottle of bleach could FADE that yellow and then they could be donated to some needy cause?—Karl

After reflecting that the male of most species is more gaudily adorned than the female, I'm wondering why humans elect to differ. If there lives a boy with guts enough to wear my yellow Tee-shirts, I say more power to him! Therefore I'm anonymously donating them, unbleached, to Goodwill (concealed in plain brown wrapping paper).
Seán
Hey, that sounds reasonable... so long as the "plain brown wrapping paper" is employed. Wink   ;)

Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
Yesterday the painters packed their things and went away. During the seven days they worked here they came to seem like family. In fact one of them asked permission to return to see how the house looks when the carpet is installed. That, of course was granted. Carpeting is scheduled on December 29; perhaps he'll forget by then. That date gives me time to move furniture around and enjoy a little R&R as well.

One thing leads directly to another. I'm noticing that my home's pueblo-style exterior is a bit too picturesque. That is to say it should be restuccoed. But that must wait till spring when there's no risk of freezing.
Seán

Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
When this renovation is complete it will be like the Phoenix myth, reversed: A nice new nest for the same old bird.

Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
Ahead of schedule, the carpet people arrived at 7:30 Monday morning, while I still had three spoonsful left of porridge. Bright-eyed and bushy-tailed they were, and in their shirt-sleeves too, despite the freezing weather. In and out they went all day, doors left open wide, while I enjoyed my hypothermia. Eventually I turned off the heat, wrapped me up in an electric blanket, and spent the live-long day hiding in the kitchen while exploring inanities in depth, courtesy of Internet.

A little after three o'clock the carpeting was finished except for the master bedroom which, they said, was furnished with antiques too valuable for them to risk handling. I denied both the value and the fragility of the furniture, but they were adamant in their refusal. They will return to complete the job only after I move the treasures to a secure place. Since the room constitutes the entire second story of the house I'm faced with a mighty task. So much for my hope for R&R this weekend.
Seán

Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
Just for the weekend I have a house full of women. My goodness! I'd forgotten how much they talk. And they stay at least two topics ahead of me at all times. Picture a snail surrounded by butterflies.

Admin
Picture of *CJ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just for the weekend I have a house full of women. My goodness! I'd forgotten how much they talk. And they stay at least two topics ahead of me at all times. Picture a snail surrounded by butterflies.
That image is worthy of being put to paper.

*CJ

Posts: 16467 | Location: Austin, TX USA | Mbr Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
quote:
That image is worthy of being put to paper.—*CJ

I will try to put it so. Unfortunately I have been temporarily interrupted by a close encounter with a malady necessitating huge amounts of laboratory work to refute myriad misdiagnoses. Sadly I am getting well apace, so we'll likely never know what was the bug that bit me. Also, since the fire, I misplaced my colored pencils as well as many other things, but they're sure to surface soon; I've already found a drawing tablet with several unused pages!
Seán
PS: People tell me I should have labelled the boxes better. Marking all boxes MISCELLANEOUS hasn't helped at all, even though that accurately describes their contents.
S.