Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your Aantares.com  Hop To Forums  Announcements & News    All Fall Down
      Page: 1 2 3 
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

All Fall Down
 Login/Register 
Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
I'm rustier than I realized.

ImageSnail.jpg (66 Kb, 14 downloads) Sweet Confusion

Posts: 6520 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Mbr Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
Picture of Dixie Chick
posted Hide Post
Hey Sean. You okay? You seem to be MIA.

P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nevertheless, she persisted.

Posts: 50774 | Location: Frogville, Georgia USA | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
Peachy,
Thanks for asking. As a matter of fact I was indisposed for several days—probably a virus—but am now back to subnormal.
Seán

Posts: 6520 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Mbr Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steadfast...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
Peachy,
Thanks for asking. As a matter of fact I was indisposed for several days—probably a virus—but am now back to subnormal.
Seán

Sounds like you're in the same shape I am, Sean. Brought low by a virus, but more or less back to subnormal now. Wish I could get my energy back--or at least some of it.

--Linda

P.S. Have I told you lately how much I hate Windows 8.1?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. --P.C. Hodgell

Posts: 18653 | Location: So. Calif., USA | Mbr Since: 03-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have I told you lately how much I hate Windows 8.1?—Raksha

I am not sure. My own roars of disapproval may have drowned out the sound of yours. Today, on this selfsame computer, an online Dell support technician spent two hours trying, with eventual success, to make it accept input from mouse, keyboard and touchscreen. When all else failed he forced an improper shutdown, thus invoking an automatic repair program, embedded in Windows 8.1, that did the actual fixing. His explanation of what went wrong made no sense at all to me, but then very little does, I guess.
Seán

Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
Whee! A new challenge arises daily. This time my favorite computer, which is six years old at least, failed to boot but beeped five times, repeatedly. Five beeps is Dell's way of saying a new CMOS battery is needed. I looked and found the holder for the battery was broken. All that's needed is to replace the holder, but that requires a soldering iron that's pointed like a needle and some kind of microscope. If I had it done by a professional it would cost more than the computer's worth; instead I'll buy an All-In-One.
Seán

Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
Aforesaid computer had hardly reached its final resting place when my modem bit the dust. Century Link obligingly replaced it free with one described as "refurbished." In principle installing the replacement was a simple job but it required entering several long alphanumeric codes that were printed on a label glued to the bottom of the gadget. That would have been a piece of cake except the print is of such microscopic size that zero, eight and B are hard to tell apart, even with a magnifier. Next time I'll know to copy all the codes in largish print before hooking up the modem.
Seán

Zealot...
posted Hide Post

I hear you Sean.

Before working on someone's vehicle, over the years, I'll ask them for the VIN so that I can properly decode it, and then add their vehicle to my alldataDIY subscription (alldataDIY is essentially an online "repair shop" manual... not only containing step-by-step illustrated repair procedures, but also part numbers & prices). Anyway, it is not uncommon for them to give me an incorrect VIN because they get a digit or two (out of 17 of those) incorrect. When that happens, I'll wait until they bring the vehicle to me and then get the VIN myself. At least car makers practice a bit of discipline in that they do not use certain numbers or letters so as to avoid confusion/mistakes. That is to say, the letters I, O and Q not used at all... the letters U and Z and the numerical 0 are not used in the 10th digit's (model year) placement. Even with those precautions, some people can (and do) misread their VIN mostly because they are unaware of what is NOT allowed to be included.

The above aside:

My Verizon FiOS Modem's label uses a mixture of ALL-CAPS and NUMBERS which is not the best security practice; and my Buffalo Modem uses only NUMBERS (no letters at all) which is even less secure. Neither of those practices would I ever use for any password which I create... but I suppose they're secure enough for setting-up a modem.

The SIZE of those numbers/letters is adequate for me to read without the aid of glasses or a magnifier... but I am all too familiar with the problem you've described even when using a magnifier sometimes the "small print" on various labels is a real challenge for me!

Posts: 22606 | Location: VA | Mbr Since: 11-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
Pride briefly preceded my fall. My replacement modem was a star performer until I tried to watch a video: Downloading it was so excruciatingly slow that I left for greener pastures. Century Link's speed test told me the download speed was 0.21 Mbytes/second when it should have been 1.5 or slightly less. And their automated analysis revealed that something, probably an Alarm working on the same phone line, needed a DSL filter. A-hah! My recently installed Remote Alarm device was without a filter, so I supplied one rescued from my box of small electronic junk. Nothing worthwhile happened until I pressed the Reset button on the modem then—Presto!—my download speed rose to 1.3MB/Sec, where it has remained. Now all I need is a video that seems worthwhile to watch.
Seán