Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your News, Money, Sports  Hop To Forums  Sports    Usain Bolt having a go at soccer in Australia
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Usain Bolt having a go at soccer in Australia
 Login/Register

Aadmirable
Picture of The Fox God
posted
Gosford - Sprint superstar Usain Bolt looks set to make his first start as a professional footballer on Friday, a challenge he said could determine if he has a future in the sport of his boyhood dreams.

Bolt said the coach of his Central Coast Mariners, Mike Mulvey, had indicated he would be in the starting line-up in a friendly against Macarthur South West United in Sydney.

"For me, that's always a good step, when the coach is satisfied with your fitness to put you in the starting line-up - that's always a big step," Bolt told Mariners' club media Wednesday.

"I am just happy to get the chance and go out there and start, and do my best because that is the key thing."

The eight-time Olympic champion made his footballing debut in late August in a 20-minute cameo as a substitute on the left wing, nearly scoring but tiring quickly.

Bolt said he had improved his fitness since, and expected to spend more time up front.

"My movement and my touch is much better now," he said. "I've learnt how to set my body and where to place the ball."

The A-League has been struggling in recent years with fewer fans and dwindling TV ratings, with football chiefs hoping the arrival of big names like Bolt will boost local interest.

The 100m world record holder said he expected some nerves when out on the pitch, but was excited by the opportunity to prove his worth as a footballer.

https://www.sport24.co.za/Socc...australia-20181010-2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Donald Trump called Ted Cruz a liar.
Cruz called Trump a liar. I believe them both.

Posts: 47327 | Location: Metal Heaven | Mbr Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Fox God:
Gosford - Sprint superstar Usain Bolt looks set to make his first start as a professional footballer on Friday, a challenge he said could determine if he has a future in the sport of his boyhood dreams.
Bolt said the coach of his Central Coast Mariners, Mike Mulvey, had indicated he would be in the starting line-up in a friendly against Macarthur South West United in Sydney.
"For me, that's always a good step, when the coach is satisfied with your fitness to put you in the starting line-up - that's always a big step," Bolt told Mariners' club media Wednesday.
"I am just happy to get the chance and go out there and start, and do my best because that is the key thing."
The eight-time Olympic champion made his footballing debut in late August in a 20-minute cameo as a substitute on the left wing, nearly scoring but tiring quickly.
Bolt said he had improved his fitness since, and expected to spend more time up front.

Been watching this for some time now. Hope he does well.

By coincidence, Mulvey was my football daughter's coach years ago, when she was in the Queensland Academy of Sport.

Incidentally, have been meaning to ask: is your name a take-off of Faux God, or do you see the fox the same as the coyote, the Trickster God?

The people's flag is deepest red It shrouded oft our martyred dead
...Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer We'll keep the red flag flying here

Posts: 1028 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aadmirable
Picture of The Fox God
posted Hide Post
Only The Fox God Knows.
(Babymetal)

Donald Trump called Ted Cruz a liar.
Cruz called Trump a liar. I believe them both.

Posts: 47327 | Location: Metal Heaven | Mbr Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Here to stay...
Picture of Allan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Fox God:
Only The Fox God Knows.
(Babymetal)

Thanks, mate. Bit after my time Frown   :(

Usain's first goals were on the news last night.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/201...st-mariners/10371876

The people's flag is deepest red It shrouded oft our martyred dead
...Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer We'll keep the red flag flying here

Posts: 1028 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post