Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your Hobbies & Interests  Hop To Forums  Food & Drink    "Gluten-Free" ?
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

"Gluten-Free" ?
 Login/Register

Zealot...
posted

I'm posting this because far too many people I know are "Gluten-Free" fanatics. Personally, I don't avoid gluten and will not change my eating habits because of it. With that said, here are some resources which might prove to be interesting if not useful?
quote:
webmd.com: The Truth About Gluten

More and more groceries and health food stores stock gluten-free products. That’s good news for people with celiac disease, who for health reasons should not eat wheat with gluten.

Yet paradoxically, most of the people who reach for gluten-free products don’t have celiac disease and or even a sensitivity to wheat, Peter H.R. Green, MD, director of the Celiac Disease Center at Columbia University, told WebMD. "The market for gluten-free products is exploding. Why exactly we don’t know. Many people may just perceive that a gluten-free diet is healthier."

In fact, it isn’t. For people with celiac disease, a gluten-free diet is essential. But for others, "unless people are very careful, a gluten-free diet can lack vitamins, minerals, and fiber," says Green.

Celiac Disease Serious, Often Undetected

Experts estimate that about 1% of Americans have celiac disease. The condition, caused by an abnormal immune response to gluten, can damage the lining of the small intestine. That, in turn, can prevent important nutrients from being absorbed.

more...
quote:
consumerreports.org: 6 Truths about a gluten free diet

The biggest trend in the food world shows no signs of slowing down. Here are the six realities behind the labels:
    1. Gluten-free isn’t more nutritious (and may be less so) <...snip...>

2. You’ll probably increase your exposure to arsenic <...snip...>

3. You might gain weight <...snip...>

4. You’ll pay more <...snip...>

5. You might miss a serious health condition <...snip...>

6. You might still be eating gluten, anyway <...snip...>
...FWIW

Posts: 22649 | Location: VA | Mbr Since: 11-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chronic...
posted Hide Post
Then there's milk that's labelled as Gluten-free. Who the heck expects milk to have wheat products in it?

Posts: 8457 | Location: Colorado | Mbr Since: 10-17-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
Karl's right. People without celiac disease gain nothing from a gluten-free regimen.

Posts: 6520 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Mbr Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Sa-EQ
posted Hide Post
Try again--how about people who are allergic to wheat?

Donald

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico | Mbr Since: 06-09-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
quote:
Try again--how about people who are allergic to wheat?—Donald

Right. Celiac disease is not an allergy. Do you know the percentage of people who are truly allergic to wheat?

Posts: 6520 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Mbr Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Sa-EQ
posted Hide Post
From the 1984 Adverse Reactions to Foods, published by the American Academy of Allergy Committee on Adverse Reactions to Food and the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, p. 3, is this
quote:
Just what percentage of the population does have an adverse reaction to food or food additives at one time or another, however, has never been determined.

Gluten does appear to be a major factor in wheat allergy.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico | Mbr Since: 06-09-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
Wheat allergy exists in 0.21% of the Japanese population. Its frequency may be higher (or lower) among Europeans.

Donald, why do you say "Gluten does appear to be a major factor in wheat allergy."?

Devoted...
Picture of Sa-EQ
posted Hide Post
It was a quote from a book reference. Also, gluten is a part of wheat. Your quote from Asia is from 2013 and regards food allergy in Asia, although symptoms are not mentioned. It definitely is an interesting article because of the finding of wheat anaphylaxis.
http://apallergy.org/DOIx.php?...apallergy.2013.3.1.3

As the authors note, the subject is a difficult one to nail down.

Forum Host
Picture of Klinger
posted Hide Post
Yes: "About 1 in 100 people worldwide has celiac disease. The only treatment is a gluten-free diet. When someone with celiac disease eats even tiny amounts of gluten, their immune system attacks the the lining of the small intestine. This can lead to malnutrition."

And here's what I see, a food fad. We see these come and go.

"Dec. 12, 2013 -- It’s not unusual for people to say they feel much better after dropping gluten from their diets, even though they don't have celiac disease, digestive experts report.

What these people describe has come to be called “non-celiac gluten sensitivity,” or NCGS. It's a little-studied diagnosis that has contributed to the growing market for gluten-free products, expected to surpass $6.2 billion worldwide by 2018, according to one estimate."

Free range chicken, organic products that bring in 2-4 times the price of "natural" products. Fear makes for great marketing and enhanced profit.

source: http://www.webmd.com/digestive...ase-gluten-sensitive

I'm not talkin', That's what I've got to say...

Posts: 666 | Location: Milwaukee, WI USA | Mbr Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
quote:
And here's what I see, a food fad. We see these come and go.—Klinger

I know, from observing a gluten-free dieter, that keeping on the diet requires a great deal of effort and expense. Unless it truly really benefits one's health the diet is sure to be abandoned. A fad, in order to be viable, should provide a lot of fun for a minimum of effort.

Devoted...
Picture of Sa-EQ
posted Hide Post
Being both an allergist and one sensitive to wheat I have explored this further using a method contributed by Theron G. Randolph, M.D., for whom I was a research associate. His method for the non-life-threatened, detailed in his book available in libraries is An Alternative Approach to Allergy. It suggests both a period of avoidance and challenge to clarify the diagnosis, then maintenance using a four day rotary diet. After years I now eat wheat every three to four days, maintaining my weight, napping as needed, and staying functional with caffeine via two sodas a day.

Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
Dr. Randolph's book is on sale at Alibris.com at 99 cents per copy. Shipping costs about $5, though. As I recall from reading long ago, his method involves isolating a patient in an allergen free environment and challenging with suspect agents, one substance at a time. Doesn't that limit its availability to really affluent patients?

Devoted...
Picture of Sa-EQ
posted Hide Post
As his research associate for three months 1984-5 I was in charge of the unit, which admitted people for about three weeks for testing, and used a wing of the hospital. Dr. Randolph used his methods for himself, but did not keep a 4 day rotation for all foods.

The individual patient after leaving was responsible for his continued testing and keeping the diet. If one was allergic to many foods, the diet is a blessing. Even in social occasions I can find enough to eat to enjoy the occasion, but I do read labels frequently and especially enjoy basic foods.

Forum Host
Picture of DianeZ
posted Hide Post
My youngest grandchild has Eosinophilic Esophagitis - EE - allergic to wheat, barley, milk, milk products, cheese, chicken & beef. They buy gluten free.

DianeZ

Posts: 1087 | Location: Maryland | Mbr Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Sa-EQ
posted Hide Post
Hopefully time will change things, like age 4.
Another time allergies change in going into adolescence.

My asthma went away during my teen years, but after retirement returned, especially pollen allergy to mulberry.

My experience with wheat products is that the four day rotation makes allergy to such much more tolerable. My initial symptom was sleep for an hour onset about an hour after exposure. When I woke up I really had energy to get things done for the rest of the evening.