Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your Hobbies & Interests  Hop To Forums  Food & Drink    Senior Diet For The Food Sensitive
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Senior Diet For The Food Sensitive
 Login/Register

Devoted...
Picture of Sa-EQ
posted
Anyone notice how their diet is changing?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico | Mbr Since: 06-09-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Sa-EQ
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have a 92 y/o married couple as friends. Currently after breakfast she forgets and asks "When's breakfast?" Her husband says, "You just ate breakfast!" Her reply is, "When is lunch?" She also has repeated nod-offs during the day, and has fallen repeatedly, even off the bed at night with minor but bloody injuries. She does walk, but sits most of the day in front of the TV or at the kitchen table.

They live at home. The husband cooks, and they eat a lot of pancakes and salad.

I wonder if she breathe regularly at night.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico | Mbr Since: 06-09-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Sa-EQ
posted Hide Post
Just to be fair, I am food allergic, and recently have noticed a return of cow's milk causing headaches. To remedy that I only use milk products that have gone thru more than just pasteurization, like yogurt. I also have discovered goat's milk, which is locally farmed. While more fatty than cow's milk, the local version is very tasty, and doesn't cause headaches. When I mix it with a citrus juice, like tangerine, it also helps my aching joints.

Devoted...
Picture of Sa-EQ
posted Hide Post
Since my wife is Type Two diabetic, and I have read of a useful diet with smaller amounts more frequently, I have gone on a basic liquid diet of juice and milk every three hours. This allows sound sleep, a brightness for doing things for two hours before thinking gets cloudy, and the normal two to three meals a day. My only medications are for high blood pressure and vitamin D for better calcium absorption. My four hour fasting blood glucose is normal at 96 (I am not a known diabetic.}

Devoted...
Picture of Sa-EQ
posted Hide Post
Another interesting and pertinent article about stomach acid suggests the usefulness of the juices. Basically it said that as we age the body gets more alkaline, which shows up with the stomach producing less acid. That jibes with Jarvis' book on Folk Medicine, which taught me the usefulness of adding vinegar to the diet. Voila! Add soda pop, which has fizzy carbonic acid. Citrus fruits have citric acid, the most acidic being in grapefruit. Unfortunately it interacts with cholesterol-lowering drugs. I never started them, and I am in my 79th year, and have elevated blood cholesterol and a family history of strokes. I prefer living. My father and his father lived to 86 and 73 respectively, both golfers. I like to walk my dogs daily. Juicing every three hours is very tolerable. You figure...

Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another interesting and pertinent article about stomach acid suggests the usefulness of the juices

I would like to read that article. Please cite the source,

Posts: 6520 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Mbr Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Sa-EQ
posted Hide Post
Declining Stomach Acid With Age
http://nutritionreview.org/201...-caused-excess-acid/
quote:

Surprisingly, one of the most common age-related causes of impaired digestive function is the reduction of hydrochloric acid produced by the stomach.

Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reference. I will read it carefully and check out its bibliography. Lemons, by the way, are far more acidic than grapefruit; both owe their acidity to citric acid which is readily digested. I doubt it can replace, or even supplement, the stomach's hydrochloric acid, which is a hundred times stronger. It can, however, wreak havoc on ones teeth.

Posts: 6520 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Mbr Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
The bibliography supports the claim that stomach acid diminishes with age. People don't "get more alkaline with age" though. With age ones blood becomes more acidic.

Devoted...
Picture of Sa-EQ
posted Hide Post
That is a rather low sampling considering the age range, and the abstract indicates an independence of age and endogenous acid production.

Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is a rather low sampling considering the age range,...

I agree the sample was small, but it was enough to indicate a correlation between increased blood acidity and age at the P < 0.001 level, which approaches certainty. Should I look for other papers on this topic?

Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
This one is a review of several studies and includes graphs in addition to statistical analyses.

Devoted...
Picture of Sa-EQ
posted Hide Post
Part of my diet is drinking Gerolsteiner Mineral Water, which they say is No. 1 Mineral Water in the World.
In the Gerolsteiner Q&A they give the pH in the mild acid range, pH 5-6, and explain that that level of acidity can balance stomach hyperacidity at the recommended 2 liters a day with its calcium and magnesium. They also claim the mineral water helps lubricate the joints, which I affirm explains the relief I get from aching joints.

Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
Gerolsteiner Mineral Water is exceptionally mineralized. Drinking 3 liters daily would meet your requirements for Calcium and Magnesium, making the content of those minerals in your food superfluous. Three liters of water is more than a person ordinarily would drink and probably would cause trips to the bathroom during the wee hours (pun intentional). The 7 grams of "carbonic acid" (actually carbon dioxide) per liter couldn't have a buffering effect on stomach acid, so I don't see their basis for that claim. Neither can I think of mechanism by which their water provides better lubrication for the joints than ordinary water does.

Devoted...
Picture of Sa-EQ
posted Hide Post
My personal experience is that mild acid fluids are helpful. The acidity is provided by the carbonic acid (carbon dioxide in water) and lessened by the high calcium and magnesium content (seen also in TUMS, etc.).

Joints are not lubricated by plain water, but by joint fluid like mucus, made in response to the acidity.
A drink of carbonated waters (like Coke or some mineral waters) will demonstrate how one's dry mouth responds both as to mucus production and the length of its production, compared to water.

Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
quote:
My personal experience is that mild acid fluids are helpful.

Personal experience trumps all evidence. However, the ability of synovial fluid to lubricate the joints depends on its hyaluronic acid content and it would be a surprise to learn that any beverage had an effect on that.

Devoted...
Picture of Sa-EQ
posted Hide Post
Do you really want to get into biochemistry?

You noted hyaluronic "acid".

Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you really want to get into biochemistry?

For me, this a happy chance to learn, so why not biochemistry? If you wish, we can limit technicalities to those presented by Wikipedia, thereby leveling the playing field. I think our conversation may be leading to a discussion of chemical equilibria, but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

Devoted...
Picture of Sa-EQ
posted Hide Post
Good article on Synovial Fluid:
quote:
The fluid in articular cartilage effectively serves as a synovial fluid reserve. During movement, the synovial fluid held in the cartilage is squeezed out mechanically to maintain a layer of fluid on the cartilage surface (so-called weeping lubrication).

That it comes from plasma just explains further what I have been saying.

Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
Searching the Internet provides considerable information about Gerolsteiner Mineral Water; the company's own pages say (without providing data) that continual analyses guarantee their products contain only negligible quantities of heavy metals. Independent analyses confirm this claim, but also withhold concrete data. Furthermore, the high content of carbon dioxide in the water is not, medically, a problem. Therefore drinking it seems a safe, although expensive, way to supplement ones intake of Calcium and Magnesium. A cheap alternative—dolomite tablets—also may contain unwanted heavy metals. Pure Magnesium and Calcium Citrate tablets would be an intelligent third choice.

I still do not understand how Gerolsteiner Mineral Water could be any better than tap water insofar as forming synovial fluid is concerned. can you explain its superiority in this respect?

Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
Early on this thread you said:
quote:
I have gone on a basic liquid diet of juice and milk every three hours. This allows sound sleep, a brightness for doing things for two hours before thinking gets cloudy, and the normal two to three meals a day.

I'm wondering if the juice and milk constitute your three meals or if they are additional.

Devoted...
Picture of Sa-EQ
posted Hide Post
Basically the three meals are additional, but I obviously eat less. I try to go more than a half glass every three hours with the nutritional part, but I do rinse with a water. The extra food in the meals, especially with rice or wheat products helps cover that third hour.

I notice in the news that terrorists like dried fruit and nuts in their final hours.

Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
Again, you made me look. I found this. Nuts and dried fruits substitute for MRI's, I suppose.

Devoted...
Picture of Sa-EQ
posted Hide Post
They are invisible to usual screening.