Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your Hobbies & Interests  Hop To Forums  Crafts & Hobbies    Homemade
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Homemade
 Login/Register

Settling in...
posted
Imagine my husband's surprise when I told him that I wanted safety goggles and rubber gloves for my birthday. I have decided to try making not process soap, using lye. This is a big change from the melt and pour soaps that I have been doing.

I have been getting into making my own lotion bars, body butter, and some household cleaning products.

Does anyone have any tips or advice?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vicki

Posts: 399 | Location: Idaho | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vicki:
Imagine my husband's surprise when I told him that I wanted safety goggles and rubber gloves for my birthday. I have decided to try making hot process soap, using lye. This is a big change from the melt and pour soaps that I have been doing.

I have been getting into making my own lotion bars, body butter, and some household cleaning products.

Vicki

Posts: 399 | Location: Idaho | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Imagine my husband's surprise when I told him that I wanted safety goggles and rubber gloves for my birthday. I have decided to try making hot process soap, using lye. This is a big change from the melt and pour soaps that I have been doing.

Sorry girl, I bought a couple of books on soap making but never got the chance to make any before my back gave out...

Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 4214 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Imagine my husband's surprise when I told him that I wanted safety goggles and rubber gloves for my birthday. I have decided to try making not process soap, using lye. This is a big change from the melt and pour soaps that I have been doing.

I had a few book, but never tried it. I’d ask the new soap shed we have if I decided to try it now. I think I could probably watch. There used to be a couple of shops that came to craft fairs that seemed willing to teach too.

As for home cleaners try Everyday Cheapskate, she has several recipes for homemade cleaners, and which ones that the commercial is simply better. Her shower cleaner has vinegar and blue Dawn in it. It works pretty well for me and isn’t overpowering. She sends a daily newsletter but her info on some of the cleaners can easily be found.

Posts: 5166 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
Reed,

I've been buying issues of a magazine called, Willow and Sage, that has some recipes for homemade products. I was making my own shampoo and rinse for awhile, until I discovered shampoo bars.

Vicki

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
JR,

Your back is still bothering you? Oh no! Isn't there anything they can do for you?

Vicki

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reed,

I've been buying issues of a magazine called, Willow and Sage, that has some recipes for homemade products. I was making my own shampoo and rinse for awhile, until I discovered shampoo bars.

I’ve seen several recipes for laundry detergent, they are all similar it seems. Right now I’m looking for a hair conditioner because my hair has suddenly turned to hay!

Posts: 5166 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
Reed,

I'm going to try making some laundry detergent, too. I saw on YouTube a homesteading program called Doug and Stacy. She made laundry detergent from washing soda and a bar of castile soap, which she grated into the washing soda.

The hair rinse I made was a vinegar infusion. I would take whatever smelled good that was blooming at the time in the yard- lilacs, roses or whatever herbs I could spare, like sage and thyme. It made my hair feel soft and at this point in my life, my hair is really dry.

Vicki

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reed,

I'm going to try making some laundry detergent, too. I saw on YouTube a homesteading program called Doug and Stacy. She made laundry detergent from washing soda and a bar of castile soap, which she grated into the washing soda.

The hair rinse I made was a vinegar infusion. I would take whatever smelled good that was blooming at the time in the yard- lilacs, roses or whatever herbs I could spare, like sage and thyme. It made my hair feel soft and at this point in my life, my hair is really dry.

My mother used to rinse her hair with vinegar to get the soap out, for sure. And yes, my hair has gotten dry too, and rather suddenly. I suspect a cpap is partially to blame. As for the laundry soap Cheapskate’s new recipe uses no grating.

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
It made my hair feel soft and at this point in my life, my hair is really dry.

I've heard that coconut oil is good for dry hair...
coconut oil hair treatment
Mine is usually dry only on the ends, so I just rub a bit straight from the jar on the ends of my hair.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
JR,

Thanks for the link.

Vicki

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
JR,

Thanks for the link.

I got it per her suggestion, some time back. I haven’t tested on a large amount of skeeters, but it did help with leg cramps. I need to be sure I get it out again.

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
I’ve misplaced a recipe for carpet cleaner that Astrocat posted. I think Jr had a version too. I remember it contained peroxide and maybe rubbing alcohol?

Got any suggestions?

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
JR,

Your back is still bothering you? Oh no! Isn't there anything they can do for you?

Oops, I didn't see this one...

I have scar tissue in the torn back muscles from an auto accident. Not much to be done at this point.

When it first happened - about 12 years ago - the focus was on realigning the spine. I had severe whiplash and my spine looked like an S on the x-rays. Took quite a while to get the back stable again, but by then the scar tissue had already set up.

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
quote:
JR,

Thanks for the link.

I got it per her suggestion, some time back. I haven’t tested on a large amount of skeeters, but it did help with leg cramps. I need to be sure I get it out again.

Actually, Magnesium Oil is better for skeeters. That said, any oil will repel them to some degree because it clogs their breathing apparatus - they breathe through their skin - as well as breaks down their skin.

But coconut oil is one of the best oils to use on the skin. It isn't oily - soaks right in - and leaves it moisturized and soft. AND you get all the benefits of the oil without the calories!

https://www.eatthis.com/benefits-of-coconut-oil/

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
quote:
JR,

Thanks for the link.

Actually, Magnesium Oil is better for skeeters. That said, any oil will repel them to some degree because it clogs their breathing apparatus - they breathe through their skin - as well as breaks down their skin.

But coconut oil is one of the best oils to use on the skin. It isn't oily - soaks right in - and leaves it moisturized and soft. AND you get all the benefits of the oil without the calories!

https://www.eatthis.com/benefits-of-coconut-oil/

In order to notice it is working I’d need to be where others are being bit! It seemed to help the one time I tried it.

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
I tried a recipe for making laundry detergent, which wasn't too hard to do. I was happy with the results. Has anyone else tried making their own detergent?

Vicki

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
I tried a recipe for making laundry detergent, which wasn't too hard to do. I was happy with the results. Has anyone else tried making their own detergent?

I’m happy with the powder I’m using, but know at lease one person in my sewing guild that learned to do it in the peace Corp and continues today! She likes her results.