Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your Lifestyle & Culture  Hop To Forums  Health & Well-Being    January 11th: A good friend (with ten years active duty service)
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

January 11th: A good friend (with ten years active duty service)
 Login/Register

Admin
posted

...is being forced out of the Navy. He is now devastated, depressed, etc., in addition to the recent (and disqualifying) manifestation of Type I diabetes. He now MUST wear a monitoring device 24/7 and take insulin shots each & every day. Being in his late 20s, and faced with this for the rest of his days (?)... I have great empathy for this guy (he loves his job, or, should I say the job that he is losing).

Anyway, I found this fact to be interesting:

First use of insulin in treatment of diabetes on this day in 1922.

Posts: 25914 | Location: VA | Mbr Since: 11-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
It would be interesting to know if it is possible to show it is service related so that his discharge keeps his retirement intact. My first thought however was that there might be a civil service counterpart position where he would not need to be combat ready. Unfortunately if he is an aviator there aren’t such jobs. I wish him well and hope he gets the support he needs to actively deal with his new diagnosis. We have a friend wo has a pump, his biggest complaint is the way his refills are handled and how little he must have left before refills.

Posts: 11017 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin
posted Hide Post

Reed,

I'm not sure. Navy medical personnel have to make that determination, and he can appeal their decision. But, I do know that the exact cause is not something which is easily determined ( ref: medlineplus.gov ).

As a Navy diver, he has traveled into some rather unique conditions and worked in some real nasty waters. He could have encountered any number of things which triggered some auto-immune condition which then caused his pancreas to stop producing insulin.

What has been determined thus far is that he can no longer dive or be deployed and can not remain in the Navy. I've no idea as to what degree/percent of disability he will be compensated (he is still awaiting that assessment).

Posts: 25914 | Location: VA | Mbr Since: 11-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin
posted Hide Post

Reed,

He now wears a monitor and insulin pump (but can remove it and resort to injections if his activities demand that).

some additional notes:
quote:
Pancreatitis has a range of possible causes, including:

Gallstones
Alcohol use
Structural problems of the pancreatic and bile ducts
Some medications like estrogen supplements and some diuretics
Severe viral or bacterial infection
Injury to the abdomen
Elevated triglyceride levels, called hyperlipidemia
Elevated calcium blood levels, called hypercalcemia
Genetic causes such as gastric fibrosis

more...

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stop The Madness:

Reed,

I'm not sure. Navy medical personnel have to make that determination, and he can appeal their decision. But, I do know that the exact cause is not something which is easily determined ( ref: medlineplus.gov ).

As a Navy diver, he has traveled into some rather unique conditions and worked in some real nasty waters. He could have encountered any number of things which triggered some auto-immune condition which then caused his pancreas to stop producing insulin.

What has been determined thus far is that he can no longer dive or be deployed and can not remain in the Navy. I've no idea as to what degree/percent of disability he will be compensated (he is still awaiting that assessment).

I’ll have to find her name she is from Hawaii University working in Qatar temporarily on coral reefs. I see he isn’t supposed to be diving but I’d think most reefs aren’t too deep depending upon what he’s limited by.

Greta is what I was thinking. Here is a link

https://eorhawaii.org/about-3/meet-the-team/

I know too that the Grand Caymans are considering moving some coral reefs so they can put in a cruise ship pier. Not sure of the status of that project but perhaps a supervisor if he can’t dive?

I wish him well.

Posts: 11017 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:

Reed,

He now wears a monitor and insulin pump (but can remove it and resort to injections if his activities demand that).

some additional notes:
quote:
Pancreatitis has a range of possible causes, including:

Gallstones
Alcohol use
Structural problems of the pancreatic and bile ducts
Some medications like estrogen supplements and some diuretics
Severe viral or bacterial infection
Injury to the abdomen
Elevated triglyceride levels, called hyperlipidemia
Elevated calcium blood levels, called hypercalcemia
Genetic causes such as gastric fibrosis

more...

I assume bathing requires removal of pump too! As for pancreatic problems I’ve seen a professor start with pancreas problems move to gallbladder and then a variety of set backs. He now watches what he eats and has regular checkups and unfortunately flare up. I’m hoping your friends stays well!

Admin
posted Hide Post

He's doing OK, Reed. But it's the out years and complications related to Type I which are a great cause for concern. He still hasn't received any offer of disability / medical-retirement compensation... it may take weeks before he gets an official word on the matter.

The above said:

Only 3 Companies Make All the World’s Insulin (Charging $20 Outside the U.S. and $300+ in the U.S.)?

The above linked article does an analysis which presents several caveats to this claim. However; there is no question that in the U.S. we pay a greatly inflated price for the same thing which people in other countries pay far less.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
Glad he is okay, but a good medical discharge should get him mtf access which should help.

As for the differences in cost $20 in Thailand is about as unaffordable as $300 is here. But yes, we need to find a way to continue research while containing costs! I don’t see an easy solution as even government control may not be enough.

Admin
posted Hide Post

The cited article did account for exchange rates between currencies and expressed their figures in u.s. dollars for simplicity's sake. But it does appear that no matter the country involved, the price seems to be whatever those IN NEED can afford to pay?
quote:
June 2018
Insulin Access and Affordability Working Group
Conclusions and Recommendations

There are more than 30 million Americans with diabetes, a disease that costs the U.S. more than $327 billion per year (1,2). Achieving glycemic control and controlling cardiovascular risk factors have been conclusively shown to reduce diabetes complications, comorbidities, and mortality. To achieve these desired outcomes, the medical community now has available many classes of medications and many formulations of insulin to effectively manage the metabolic abnormalities for people with diabetes. However, the affordability of medications in general, and for insulin specifically, is currently of great concern to people with diabetes, their families, health care providers, insurers, and employers. For millions of people living with diabetes, including all individuals with type 1 diabetes, access to insulin is literally a matter of life and death. The average list price of insulin has skyrocketed in recent years, nearly tripling between 2002 and 2013 (3). The reasons for this increase are not entirely clear but are due in part to the complexity of drug pricing in general and of insulin pricing in particular.

much more...
Could it be that the three manufacturers of insulin really aren't making any significant profit on insulin? (I doubt that)

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
I was thinking more that exchange rate but more weekly wages, so yes what they can afford. It would be nice to find a way for the market to put pressure on pricing, but basic monopolies aren’t likely to let that happen. Another alternative might though. And ye I exp’s the stockade re quite pleased with the company profits, but how do they keep those rising?

Admin
posted Hide Post

Just to followup,

90 percent disability is at what the Navy arrived. He's pretty certain that an appeal process could make it 100 percent.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just to followup,

90 percent disability is at what the Navy arrived. He's pretty certain that an appeal process could make it 100 percent.

Thanks for the update. Does he need 100% for full pay?

Admin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
quote:

Just to followup,

Thanks for the update. Does he need 100% for full pay?
I don't know if he is getting any "medical retirement" pay (that's yet to be determined). However; it is my understanding that the % of Disability might qualify for TAX deductions? I told him to consult "experts" about such things BEFORE he accepts any finalized (appeal) agreement.

Admin
posted Hide Post

followup:

My friend will not be getting any military retirement pay. He is approved for 90% VA Disability (and all benefits that come with same). He still intends to appeal (says there are significant additional notations--service related injuries--in his medical record which had nothing to do with his diabetes diagnosis and subsequent actions by the Navy).

FWIW

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update, hope his appeal works

Admin
posted Hide Post

It seems like forever (since 11 January), but he is no longer "in the Navy" as of 31 August. Now his appeals process (pursuing 100 instead of 90 percent disability) begins with the Veterans Administration...

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the follow up. Still wishing him success.

My brother’s disability income is tax exempt. Not sure his percentages though.