Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your Lifestyle & Culture  Hop To Forums  Health & Well-Being    MSG ... 50 years of M_yth S_cience & G_ullibility ?
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

MSG ... 50 years of M_yth S_cience & G_ullibility ?
 Login/Register

Admin
posted

Posts: 24927 | Location: VA | Mbr Since: 11-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:

The people I know that avoid it hate the headache they get from MSG, and aspartame for that matter! A few recognize the word sodium which their doctor’s want limited.

Posts: 5175 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:

They can say whatever they want about MSG, but once you've had a bad reaction to it, you won't be going back.

I liked going to Oriental restaurants because there was always enough left over to "take home a box" sufficient for another full meal (for me anyway because I don't eat as much as larger people). But I started getting a headache, foggy brain, and puffy hands and feet every time I went. And each time it got worse until I couldn't tolerate it any more.

Baby sis and I found a Chinese restaurant that didn't use the stuff and had ourselves a favorite Friday feast, several times per month. That is, until their chef retired and they hired a new one. Suddenly, we couldn't eat there any more. She got the BBQ ribs platter and I got the potstickers and combo fried rice (shrimp, chicken, pork). Both of us had a bad reaction, this being her first experience with it. Yep, MSG: headache, foggy brain, puffy hands and feet - and elevated BP (her's went through the roof). Broke our hearts, it did.

Now the really interesting part. We both can eat seaweed, soy sauce, cheeses, walnuts, etc., which has a good amount of natural MSG. But...neither of us can eat the manufactured, otherwise known as free, MSG.

And no, it isn't a psychological issue. Neither of us knew the chef had retired until AFTER we experienced the bad reaction. I called the next week and asked why they had started using MSG again, and that was when I was told about the new chef.

See also:
Bound or Free MSG

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 4241 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
quote:

The people I know that avoid it hate the headache they get from MSG, and aspartame for that matter! A few recognize the word sodium which their doctor’s want limited.

Yeah, I have a bad reaction from aspartame too. Saccharin as well. In fact, I quit using all manufactured sweeteners.

Posts: 4241 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
quote:
quote:

Yeah, I have a bad reaction from aspartame too. Saccharin as well. In fact, I quit using all manufactured sweeteners.

Looks like there are some thickeners that although medically necessary don’t agree with people either!

Posts: 5175 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks like there are some thickeners that although medically necessary don’t agree with people either!

When my old friend who died a year and half ago complained that he was having difficulty swallowing his morning coffee, I got some unflavored gelatin (Knox) and had his wife make coffee gelatin for him! And tea gelatin. Then we found all sorts of puddings and stuff that he could swallow. He loved chicken broth gelatin. When he craved something in particular, we figured out a way to turn it into pudding...

Devoted...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

When my old friend who died a year and half ago complained that he was having difficulty swallowing his morning coffee, I got some unflavored gelatin (Knox) and had his wife make coffee gelatin for him! And tea gelatin. Then we found all sorts of puddings and stuff that he could swallow. He loved chicken broth gelatin. When he craved something in particular, we figured out a way to turn it into pudding...

Apparently most are modified corn starch and maltodextrin, or xanthium gum. The first thing I thought of was gelatin, second was arrow root. Potato starch works I think. There are a few thickeners that continue to thicken which isn’t a good thing at times. For some reason jello is not advisable, I was told it turns to liquid which made no sense. Nevertheless I’d try the jiggler recipe which should be okay. Ensure seems to be something that is hard to add thickeners to too. Apparently water already comes thickened although I cannot find it, yet.

Enthusiast...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Apparently most are modified corn starch and maltodextrin, or xanthium gum. The first thing I thought of was gelatin, second was arrow root. Potato starch works I think. There are a few thickeners that continue to thicken which isn’t a good thing at times. For some reason jello is not advisable, I was told it turns to liquid which made no sense. Nevertheless I’d try the jiggler recipe which should be okay. Ensure seems to be something that is hard to add thickeners to too. Apparently water already comes thickened although I cannot find it, yet.

Yeah, the length of time one can hold gelatin in the mouth before it melts is a short, especially if you make it rather thin. But as it becomes more difficult to swallow without strangling, you just make it thicker! The added bonus is that they get some protein in the bargain.

We ended up getting this one, iirc:
https://www.amazon.com/Great-L...-Ounce/dp/B001ELLBJS

Amazon also has a variety of thickened water and juices:
thickened water