Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your Lifestyle & Culture  Hop To Forums  Health & Well-Being    Ebola
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Ebola
 Login/Register

Devoted...
Picture of Sa-EQ
posted
There is a flood of news about Ebola virus and its 70% death rate in West Africa. Stateside exposure is exploding with two women infected after attending a case from Liberia in a hospital in Texas.

As a physician I learned that such viruses have mutated to less lethal forms as they multiplied and spread. Hopefully this will happen with this virus as newer treatment comes to bear, including the use of immune serums from survivors.

Michael Savage on radio is making the case for NOT sending troops to Africa.

Donald

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico | Mbr Since: 06-09-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
     As of today, there are three confirmed cases of Ebola in the USA. One patient is dead, the other two are isolated, with all their contacts being watched for symptoms. It is unlikely that the disease will spread, but panic, the result of sensational reporting, likely will. Fear of contagion may disrupt the nascent shopping season, upon which the merchandising sector of our economy heavily depends. That, in turn, could delay the already slow recovery from the last recession.
Seán

Posts: 6520 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Mbr Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Host
Picture of CompGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stateside exposure is exploding

2 cases. U. S. Population 318,924,000.

That's not "exploding"--that's trivial and unnoticeable.

Jeff

Posts: 11810 | Location: US | Mbr Since: 10-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Sa-EQ
posted Hide Post
Ban travel to and from affected areas in Africa?
http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/17/...l-ban-unprecedented/

Experts document failure to ban in other lethal epidemics.

Donald

Posts: 5028 | Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico | Mbr Since: 06-09-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
AAA+
Picture of Dixie Chick
posted Hide Post
quote:
That patient was diagnosed and ultimately died at a Texas hospital and now Gov. Rick Perry is joining calls for a travel ban after two nurses at the hospital contracted the disease.

"Air travel is, in fact, how this disease crosses borders and it's certainly how it got to Texas in the first place," Perry said. "I believe it is the right policy to ban air travel from countries that have been hit hardest by the Ebola outbreak."

There have certainly been quarantines among the states as part of our national history - the polio epidemic for one and as far as I know, the ban was observed. Travel to and from Florida was prohibited at one time.

I'm not pushing for a ban on travel but it did occur to me that it might not be a bad idea to ban travel to and from Texas. That seems to be where the problem is stateside.

P

Nevertheless, she persisted.

Posts: 50784 | Location: Frogville, Georgia USA | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
An Ebola vaccine, amazingly developed in less than a year, will probably eliminate the threat posed by this disease.

Posts: 6520 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Mbr Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Sa-EQ
posted Hide Post
Since Ebola is a reportable disease, the use to protect the community when the illness is diagnosed commonly provides protection in the immediate group exposed.

Since prevention as with childhood vaccines is on the wane, this method also provides some protection, but as the pediatric physicians point out, preventable diseases of childhood need parents to get their children vaccinated. Available vaccines still include smallpox, tetanus, polio, all major killers still alive in the world.