Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your Lifestyle & Culture  Hop To Forums  Health & Well-Being    Plumbing for the birds
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Plumbing for the birds
 Login/Register

Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted
Since the dawn of (my personal) history the faucet on the kitchen sink has sat there, ready to deliver water, Hot or Cold upon command, and asking nothing for itself except new washers when it dripped and, on rare occasions, a new valve seat. Age, perhaps, has made it cranky: For the past month, despite my tinkering, the dripping only worsened. When it approached a trickle I concluded a replacement was in order. Fastened to the sink by corroded metal locknuts inaccessible to my wrenches, removing the old faucet required major effort and a few minor cuts and bruises. In contrast, installing the new faucet was, comparatively, a breeze. And when the shut-off valves were opened water flowed again! Everything seemed right until I noticed the new faucet was actually an abstract chrome sculpture of a flying swan preparing to settle on the surface of a lake. One simply can't ignore that, but time may ease the pain.

Posts: 6520 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Mbr Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chronic...
posted Hide Post
At least it wasn't an ugly duckling!

Posts: 8276 | Location: Colorado | Mbr Since: 10-17-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Sa-EQ
posted Hide Post
Did you try vinegar to dissolve the calcium deposits?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico | Mbr Since: 06-09-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did you try vinegar to dissolve the calcium deposits?—Donald

No. But I am subjecting the old faucet to a thoroughgoing autopsy and have found no mineral deposits. I suspect failure of the washer assemblies to rotate properly on the valve stems may be what caused the problem, but have no idea why that would occur. I'll keep looking for an answer.

The consensus among my acquaintances is that "the thing is old and just worn out, so discard it and forget it." Their advice is good, no doubt, but that approach would leave my curiosity still itching.

Posts: 6520 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Mbr Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devoted...
Picture of Sa-EQ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
..that approach would leave my curiosity still itching.

Mine too, but we really need that arching faucet for the wife.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico | Mbr Since: 06-09-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post