Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your Lifestyle & Culture  Hop To Forums  Health & Well-Being    Interminable Interlude
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Interminable Interlude
 Login/Register

Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted
     Apparently I forgot to mention I've been reading Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire on my Kindle. It comes free, all six big volumes of it, via Gutenberg. Light reading it is not, but now I know exactly how people lived in ancient Rome and will be able to fit in nicely there if the occasion should arise. This after reading only the first four volumes; when I've finished the remaining two I'll be qualified to be a citizen.
Seán

Posts: 6520 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Mbr Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chronic...
posted Hide Post
Citizen? Of ancient Rome?

Do you have a flux capacitor on hand? Wink   ;)

Posts: 8457 | Location: Colorado | Mbr Since: 10-17-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
quote:
Citizen? Of ancient Rome?—Henry

Why not? It is wise to be prepared for anything, I always say.
Seán

Posts: 6520 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Mbr Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
I looked in Wikiquotes to verify a quotation from Gone With the Wind and became fascinated by the by the power of Margaret Mitchell's writing. I saw the movie while I was too callow to appreciate it, but never read the book. Gutenberg doesn't list it, so I looked for it at Alibris. Good used hard cover copies are available at many stores there for 99 cents/copy! Of course I bought one. Shipping and Handling raised the total cost to $4.90; that still seems like a bargain.
Seán

Forum Host
Picture of Sean
posted Hide Post
Gone With the Wind arrived today and it appears to be in new condition. I suspect the publisher, Macmillan, must have printed an enormous over-run. The original price was $19.95, which must have seemed enormous in the 1930's when the Depression was in full bloom.
Seán