Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Amazon Ex-Pats  Hop To Forums  General Discussions    Amazon Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Annex
      Page: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... 73

Locked Topic Locked
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies
Amazon Mob's Pub & Coffee Shop Annex
 Login/Register 
Steadfast...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by That JR Thang:
Y'all can come out of hiding now, I found my Happy Camper pills and I'm almost human again!   Go-oh-oh!   :go:

You're doing better than I am. I just had one of the worst birthdays of my life, which I have to say is a respectably long one at this point. But I won't find my Happy Camper pills at least until I have some money in the bank, which won't happen for another few hours. Hopefully not too much longer than that, though.

--Linda aka Raksha

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. --P.C. Hodgell

Posts: 18702 | Location: So. Calif., USA | Mbr Since: 03-12-2004Report This Post
Steadfast...
posted Hide Post
Everyone,

I realize my last note doesn't tell you very much. For now let me just say that I'm glad to see so many of my Amazon homies still here, plus a few who seem to have drifted back in recent months. I've missed you guys terribly.

Expect a major update soon...just not tonight.

--Linda

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. --P.C. Hodgell

Posts: 18702 | Location: So. Calif., USA | Mbr Since: 03-12-2004Report This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raksha:
quote:
Y'all can come out of hiding now, I found my Happy Camper pills and I'm almost human again!   Go-oh-oh!   :go:

You're doing better than I am. I just had one of the worst birthdays of my life, which I have to say is a respectably long one at this point. But I won't find my Happy Camper pills at least until I have some money in the bank, which won't happen for another few hours. Hopefully not too much longer than that, though.

--Linda aka Raksha

Hey girrrl!

And Happy Birthday   :hapbirth:

I don't get too wrapped around my birthdays. In fact, I've actually forgotten my birthday a few times - until someone called to remind me!

If you happen to want a little pick-me-up though, those little Happy Camper pills are good - at least for short durations. If used long-term, they become ineffective. I use them mostly for rainy day blues. But they are also pretty good for when the rug gets pulled out from under your feet or your last nerve has been strummed just one too many times.

Fence straddlers get a crotch full of splinters -- Granny

Posts: 6590 | Location: Atlanta | Mbr Since: 05-01-2017Report This Post
Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
Allan, Bryan,

Found this

https://qz.com/1196408/scienti...self-is-an-illusion/

Researchers around the world are exploring the drug’s transformative power to ... lower violent crime;

Oh that hurts. My grateful thank you, anyway.

How many days ago did I say psilocybin should be used to rehabilitate serious-offence prison inmates?

This too:
Psilocybin seems to offer some people a route to an alternate view of reality, in which they shed the limitations of their individual consciousness and embrace a sense of interconnectedness and universality. These trips aren’t temporary, but have transformative psychological effects.
...Consider a study of 75 subjects, published in the Journal of Psychopharmacology last October. The study concluded that psilocybin leads to mystical experiences that can have long-term psychological benefits in conjunction with meditation training. The greater the drug dosage, the more potent the positive psychological effect was six months later. “Participants showed significant positive changes on longitudinal measures of interpersonal closeness, gratitude, life meaning/purpose, forgiveness, death transcendence, daily spiritual experiences, religious faith and coping,” the study concluded.

To my surprise I have yet to see these subjects being asked how they now feel about death. A rather obvious question, no? Or is death transcendence the answer I am looking for? Still worth exploring further, IMO.

How about this?

But Williams told The Guardian in July 2017 that so far, the clerics report feeling simultaneously more in touch with their own faith and greater appreciation for alternate paths. “In these transcendental states of consciousness, people … get to levels of consciousness that seem universal. So a good rabbi can encounter the Buddha within him ,” Williams said.

Does that mean no more arguments against me?

If I don't get my finger out and write my book soon it will be too late.

When some study subjects tested psilocybin, they reported a strong sense of interconnectedness, as well as spiritual, magical, and supernatural feelings.

QED, n'est-ce pas?

There are Buddhists that have been teaching meditation in some jails in the U.S.

bryan j borich

Posts: 486 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Report This Post
Devoted...
posted Hide Post
quote:
I found it by accident, and need to read it more, but I was sure your confirmation bias would kick in.

She sees it here,
She sees it there;
My CB sees it everywhere.
Is it on Amazon?
In every nation?
That damned pervasive Confirmation.

The past few years have been incredible. Neuropsychology in particular is leading the way; however, now that the laws against entheogens are loosening up, as they say these days it is going viral.

Posts: 5046 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Report This Post
Devoted...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
There are Buddhists that have been teaching meditation in some jails in the U.S.

This is now taking things in the right direction.

Facts are, our bodies are, if you like, designed to work with entheogens as they already are part of our bodies.

Posts: 5046 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Mbr Since: 05-05-2017Report This Post
Devoted...
posted Hide Post
quote:

Being the supportive, compassionate, empathetic comforter, thought I'd ask if you have seen this?

https://www.casewatch.org/civil/kava/complaint.shtml
The estate of Laura Starks has filed suit against Nutraceutical International Corporation of Park City, Utah, and Chamberlin Natural Foods, which in operates a retail outlet in Orlando, Florida. Kava-containing products have been associated with liver-related injuries including hepatitis, cirrhosis, and liver failure. In 2002, the FDA issued a consumer advisory and asked doctors who encounter patients with liver failure to determine whether they were kava users. The suit, filed by Attorney Joe Saunders of Piunellas Park, Florida, charges that in November 2005, Starks died of liver failure caused by ingesting a kava product called "Happy Camper" that had been purchased at Chamberlin. The product was and still is marketed with claims that it "helps reduce tension so you can relax" and "enhances your overall well-being." The suit (shown below) charges that the product was unreasonably dangerous and should have carried a warning label.

This is the only kava I know:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kava
Kava or kava-kava (Piper methysticum: Latin "pepper" + Latinized Greek "intoxicating") is a crop of the western Pacific.[1]
The name kava(-kava) is from Tongan and Marquesan, meaning "bitter";[1] other names for kava include ʻawa (Hawaiʻi),[2] ʻava (Samoa),[3] yaqona (Fiji),[4] sakau (Pohnpei),[5] and malok or malogu (parts of Vanuatu).[6]
The roots of the plant are used to produce a drink with sedative, anesthetic, euphoriant, and entheogenic properties.

Off to feed the birds.

Settling in...
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Raksha:
quote:

--Linda aka Raksha

An old message song,

Rainy Day People - Gordon Lightfoot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnmFPFQd9CI

Hey girrrl!

And Happy Birthday   :hapbirth:

I don't get too wrapped around my birthdays. In fact, I've actually forgotten my birthday a few times - until someone called to remind me!

If you happen to want a little pick-me-up though, those little Happy Camper pills are good - at least for short durations. If used long-term, they become ineffective. I use them mostly for rainy day blues. But they are also pretty good for when the rug gets pulled out from under your feet or your last nerve has been strummed just one too many times.

bryan j borich

Posts: 486 | Location: CA | Mbr Since: 05-02-2017Report This Post
Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Being the supportive, compassionate, empathetic comforter, thought I'd ask if you have seen this?

The estate of Laura Starks has filed suit against Nutraceutical International Corporation of Park City, Utah, and Chamberlin Natural Foods, which in operates a retail outlet in Orlando, Florida. Kava-containing products have been associated with liver-related injuries including hepatitis, cirrhosis, and liver failure. In 2002, the FDA issued a consumer advisory and asked doctors who encounter patients with liver failure to determine whether they were kava users. The suit, filed by Attorney Joe Saunders of Piunellas Park, Florida, charges that in November 2005, Starks died of liver failure caused by ingesting a kava product called "Happy Camper" that had been purchased at Chamberlin. The product was and still is marketed with claims that it "helps reduce tension so you can relax" and "enhances your overall well-being." The suit (shown below) charges that the product was unreasonably dangerous and should have carried a warning label.

Kava or kava-kava (Piper methysticum: Latin "pepper" + Latinized Greek "intoxicating") is a crop of the western Pacific.[1]
The name kava(-kava) is from Tongan and Marquesan, meaning "bitter";[1] other names for kava include ʻawa (Hawaiʻi),[2] ʻava (Samoa),[3] yaqona (Fiji),[4] sakau (Pohnpei),[5] and malok or malogu (parts of Vanuatu).[6]
The roots of the plant are used to produce a drink with sedative, anesthetic, euphoriant, and entheogenic properties.

Off to feed the birds.

Yep, that's the one. It does carry a warning on the label now.

And it plainly states to take only as directed which is 2 capsules per day. It warns against taking it excessively and/or with alcohol.

If I take it for more than 3-4 days in a row, it becomes ineffective anyway.

But I do know that some people think that because something is legal and herbal that it is harmless. Bad thinking. And some people think if 1 or 2 are good for you then 3-4 are better.

And there are those whose liver is already compromised because of other ailments or overuse of drugs/alcohol that shouldn't take it at all, as well as the rare few that it effects quite negatively.

The warning states: The US FDA advises that a potential risk of rare, but severe, liver injury may be associated with kava-containing dietary supplements. Ask a health care professional before use if you have or have had liver problems, frequently use alcoholic beverages, or are taking any medication... It goes on to provide a list of symptoms to monitor for and advises against excessive use.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
An old message song,

Rainy Day People - Gordon Lightfoot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnmFPFQd9CI

Nice song.

Devoted...
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is now taking things in the right direction.

Facts are, our bodies are, if you like, designed to work with entheogens as they already are part of our bodies.

So who or what created those entheogens already in our bodies, and who or what created entheogens in plants and led us to them?

Devoted...
posted Hide Post
quote:
...The warning states: The US FDA advises that a potential risk of rare, but severe, liver injury may be associated with kava-containing dietary supplements. Ask a health care professional before use if you have or have had liver problems, frequently use alcoholic beverages, or are taking any medication... It goes on to provide a list of symptoms to monitor for and advises against excessive use.

As I expected, you are way ahead of me.

Wonder what entheogenic effect it has on you.

Off to feed myself now.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
...The warning states: The US FDA advises that a potential risk of rare, but severe, liver injury may be associated with kava-containing dietary supplements. Ask a health care professional before use if you have or have had liver problems, frequently use alcoholic beverages, or are taking any medication... It goes on to provide a list of symptoms to monitor for and advises against excessive use.

As I expected, you are way ahead of me.

Wonder what entheogenic effect it has on you.

Off to feed myself now.

I haven't noticed much in the way of entheogenic effects, but then, I don't take an excessive dose. I'm only after the mood lifting effect - at which it is very effective for me.

I experience a nice normal mood with a heightened sense of well being. The mind in clear and sharp, the body seems less painful and more awake, and the sense of peace is quite profound, when I take Happy Camper.

Happy Camper is a blend of Passion Flower extract, Kava Kava root, Eleuthero, Gotu Kola, Kola Nut extract (caffeine), Schisandra fruit, Wood Betony, and English Lavender flower, so it isn't likely one would experience an entheogenic effect unless they consumed a massive dose.

One could, of course, consume straight Kava Kava root which is also available here. But since a dose is usually 2-3 tablespoons of powdered root made into a tea, and since I've never known anyone to mention experiencing any entheogenic effects, it would appear that it must contain only a very small amount by volume. I presume one could extract the entheogen...

Ahhhh...just found this:
http://www.bluelight.org/vb/th...enic-effects-of-kava

So maybe I've been thinking of entheogens as having a more dramatic effect whereas in Kava Kava it is more of a peaceful effect, which I do experience quite nicely.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:

Good to hear! Spent some time with a friend that was reading Jeffres not all roads lead to heaven, I so wished I could get her on the old Amazon threads! I think she’d have been intrigued with Mrs e and I’m sure Mrs e could have pointed her in the right directions!

Posts: 12685 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Report This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Off to feed the birds.

I’ve had that kava, it taste like mud! Guess I had too small of a sip, no noticeable effects .... guess that’s a good thing!

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Off to feed the birds.

I’ve had that kava, it taste like mud! Guess I had too small of a sip, no noticeable effects .... guess that’s a good thing!

Yeah, most root herbs have a rather "earthy" smell/flavor. I've read that sometimes it is brewed in warm coconut water or coconut milk, but usually cinnamon and honey or lemon/lime and honey are added to kava brewed in just warm water; all of which would make it taste much better.

Love me some coconut water - especially with a squeeze of lime... Sing   :sing: squeeze the lime in the coconut and drink it all up Sing   :sing:

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Good to hear! Spent some time with a friend that was reading Jeffres not all roads lead to heaven, I so wished I could get her on the old Amazon threads! I think she’d have been intrigued with Mrs e and I’m sure Mrs e could have pointed her in the right directions!

Wish Mary Jean felt more comfortable here but she finds the format just a bit intimidating.

Steve/yba is having some computer problems - including issues with email - so I don't anticipate he will be joining us either.

Devoted...
Picture of That JR Thang
posted Hide Post
I see you are lurking about, Allan, and wish I could stay and chat but I gotta put me to bed before my back gives out.

See ya tomorrow.

Good night and God bless.

Devoted...
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sound pretty much what I have read.

Most likely got my introduction in primary school, where one of my favourite authors was Ion Idriess. He wrote more than 50 books over 43 years between 1927 and 1969 – an average of one book every 10 months, and twice published three books in one year (1932 and 1940). Reckon this Scot knew more about the first Australians and their Torres Strait Islander neighbours than did most of my Aussie classmates. Amazing contrast between those two peoples even though only narrow stretches of water separate them in the far north.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_Idriess
Ion Idriess was born in Waverley, a suburb of Sydney. From his late teens, he worked in rural New South Wales, particularly in the Narrabri and Moree districts. He travelled extensively around the state, working in a variety of itinerant jobs including employment as a rabbit poisoner, boundary rider, drover, prospecting for gold as well as harvesting sandalwood. He also worked as a shearer and dingo shooter. While working as an opal miner at Lightning Ridge in about 1910, he wrote short pieces for The Bulletin about life on the opal fields.
He later headed north, working in several tin mines around Cairns and Cooktown including his own claim. In 1913 he moved to Cape York Peninsula, where he lived with an Aboriginal clan, learning their customs and lifestyle.
With the outbreak of war, in 1914 he returned to Townsville and enlisted in the 5th Light Horse Regiment, AIF, as a trooper.[3][4] He saw action in Palestine, Sinai and Turkey, being wounded at Beersheba and Gallipoli – where he acted as spotter for noted sniper Billy Sing.
After returning to Australia and recuperating from his wounds, he travelled to remote Cape York, and worked with pearlers and missionaries in the Torres Strait islands and Papua New Guinea where he worked as a gold miner. Other ventures included buffalo shooting in the Northern Territory, and journeys to Central and Western Australia.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Off to feed the birds.

Yeah, most root herbs have a rather "earthy" smell/flavor. I've read that sometimes it is brewed in warm coconut water or coconut milk, but usually cinnamon and honey or lemon/lime and honey are added to kava brewed in just warm water; all of which would make it taste much better.

Love me some coconut water - especially with a squeeze of lime... Sing   :sing: squeeze the lime in the coconut and drink it all up Sing   :sing:

Not sure what recipe was used in Fiji but it even looked like red clay!