Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your Hobbies & Interests  Hop To Forums  Computing & Internet    RE: Identity & Privacy
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

RE: Identity & Privacy
 Login/Register

Admin
posted

Far too many times: when discussing these issues with others, they will blow it off by saying something like "I don't care about how many ADs get thrown at me." The thing is, ADs are just the tip of the iceberg (a huge one that affects your children, neighbors, and the nation itself). Allow me to take you on a short journey?

Go to MyLife.com (https://www.mylife.com), spend a few dollars and subscribe. You can unsubscribe once you see what's really going on--most of which it is likely that you are completely unaware). While subscribed; there you will find a lot of information which has been collected about you (resulting from the building of a detailed profile, on you, that most people I know would NOT want). For example, you might find:

* your full name, your street address (and previous addresses)
* your phone number(s), your email address(es)
* how much money you make, how much money you are worth (assets)
* professional licenses which you hold, arrest and court records
* your family's names, addresses, phone number(s)
* your neighbors' names and addresses
* and more

MyLife.com represents itself as a means for you to find out "what is out there" about you. However; they also likely will have some missing/incorrect information (interspersed with a lot of correct stuff). They will ask you to "fill in" missing information, indicating that will allow them to do even DEEPER searches of the Dark & Deep Internet. They typically inform you about other websites which are "exposing" information about you. When they do that, you are offered an opportunity to have that information REMOVED. On that latter point; I have tried, many times, to have such "exposed" information REMOVED, but to no avail (clicking the LINK which they present, I always get an ERROR message, typically of the "404" variety). Regarding them asking you to "fill-in" and/or "correct" information which they hold... I suggest being very wary!

Social Media sites; such as NEXTDOOR, LINKEDIN, FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, TWITTER, TUMBLR, etc., cause you to THINK that you are getting something FOR FREE. I'm here to tell you, as if you did not already know, that NOTHING IN LIFE IS FREE.

Think about it! For example: Facebook was touted as FREE (it still is). But when Facebook became a publicly traded company... how many TENS-of-BILLIONS of dollars did the owner get? I'll let you research that--and then ask yourself, seriously, WHY was the "holder" of data on hundreds of millions of users SUDDENLY worth that much money to others?

"They" (supposedly "free" services) are making BILLION$ off of your private information. Shouldn't they be PAYING YOU? Or, at the very minimum shouldn't they be required, BY LAW, to NOT SHARE (with affiliates, partners, or anyone) and to NOT SELL the information which you have provided in such a very trusting way?

YOUR INFORMATION IS BOUGHT AND SOLD! And some people still wonder: "So? What's the harm?"

A hypothetical (?) to ponder, might be: The A.C.A. forbids Health Insurance Companies from DENYING COVERAGE for pre-existing conditions. A Corporate owned CONGRESS is working to change that. Now, consider that websites like Ancestory.com (https://www.ancestry.com) offer to analyze a DNA sample which one submits. What might become of the data associated with DNA?

If CONGRESS reverses the pre-existing conditions PROHIBITION; thereby, allowing Health Insurance Companies to DENY COVERAGE, wouldn't they be willing to PAY BIG BUCKS for the DNA database (how do we know that has not already occurred)?

If they did have that DNA database, then those who submitted DNA samples might be DENIED COVERAGE (and DENIALS could be expanded, as more work with DNA is done by researchers). Not only that, but their children, their grandchildren, etc., carry that DNA... and they too could be faced with pre-existing condition DENIALS for generations to come (all the while, Health Insurance Companies would would be laughing all the way to the bank).

Then too, it seems that we all too frequently hear about some behemoth MEGA-Company being HACKED. Identity thieves are "out there" and they are NOT going away (there's simply too much money to be made, to deter them).

Consider also, as far as both computer and mobile devices as concerned: APPS, Games, Search Engines, Streaming Services, Web Browsers, "smart devices" (in homes & offices & vehicles) ALL are collecting information about users (are they also "sharing or selling" that information?).

The EU General Data Protection Regulation (https://eugdpr.org/) recently made some MAJOR CHANGES so as to better protect their citizens' privacy and to hold corporations' to higher standard of responsibility in protecting that privacy.

Apple's CEO (Tim Cook) recently made a strong case for similar DATA PRIVACY LAWS to be implemented in the United States.

Reference this article:
https://bit.ly/2CzXDyW
quote:
Tim Cook warns of ‘data-industrial complex’ in call for comprehensive US privacy laws
‘Our own information is being weaponized against us with military efficiency’

“Platforms and algorithms that promised to improve our lives can actually magnify our worst human tendencies,” said Cook. “Rogue actors and even governments have taken advantage of user trust to deepen divisions, incite violence, and even undermine our shared sense of what is true and what is false. This crisis is real. It is not imagined, or exaggerated, or crazy.”
Even if you are not "concerned" about or for yourself... think of your children, friends and relatives... INFORM THEM as to what you might have discovered. There is "plenty more" to be discovered which is not covered herein. It is up to each of us to become EDUCATED (awakened?) and to help SPREAD THE WORD!

Posts: 25916 | Location: VA | Mbr Since: 11-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin
posted Hide Post

Of course; ALWAYS use a good and ALWAYS up-to-date, anti-malware product (I use five different products which are always onguard).

Some additional items of interest which may help to prevent "collection of information"?

Posts: 25916 | Location: VA | Mbr Since: 11-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin
posted Hide Post

Users on Any Platform, employing Any Web Browser:

There is ADVICE "out there" that you should always look for "THE PADLOCK" to ensure that you are on a secure page... is that true?

Well, yes & no.

"YES" because that SHOULD indicate that the page is encrypted and thus protects traffic (to & from) from prying eyes (data miners) as data is sent & received.

"NO" because the miscreants have adapted and may use THE PADLOCK to trick unwary visitors. Check out this recent article from c|net:

Admin
posted Hide Post

In a previous reply I suggested that you get the DISCONNECT addon/extension for your Web Browser (it should be available for most any operating system / browser). I would like to revisit that suggestion with a screen-shot of evidence that I happened to experience just a little while ago.

While visiting a web site (shown in the IMAGE linked below, as "visit here"), DISCONNECT indicated that web page was trying to SHARE information with 456 others!? Of course; DISCONNECT blocked those "attempts at sharing my information" so...

Admin
posted Hide Post

Aha! Just in time for Xmas? (re: DNA Data - article from Malwarebytes)
quote:

Admin
posted Hide Post

Got or Getting a new phone? What about the Old One:
quote:
How to protect your privacy when getting rid of old phones

Ontrack, the world’s largest data recovery company, purchased 25 phones through EBay, Facebook Marketplace and other online phone resellers. Of the 25 phones, they found three with potentially damaging personal information.

Engineer Steve Hruska shows us some of what was left on the devices.

“So, here we have his Hotmail account. I can request a password reset, I can set it to whatever I want. There is a lot of damage I can do on this phone.”

And the treasure trove for an identity thief extends way beyond an email account. Ontrack has found text messages, contacts, emails, paystubs, banking apps, Facebook accounts that are still logged in, passwords saved in a notes app and even some very personal photos. Steve explains he can access “all the photos from the camera roll that includes some risque photos.”

“Risque” is an understatement. One person in the Ontrack experiment sold their phone with nude pictures of themselves and others.

Admin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Really? I am shocked (!NOT!).

I mean to say, who would have thought that anything like this happened and will continue to happen?

Admin
posted Hide Post

Admin
posted Hide Post

ILLEGALLY SHARING your private information MUST STOP!
quote:
Lawsuit: Weather Channel illegally shared user location data with advertisers

IBM-owned company accused of tricking app users with false disclosures.
Why use any APP with LOCATION enabled, when there are likely several websites that one can visit with LOCATION OFF and PRIVACY addons enabled to obtain the same (or even better) information being sought? Shrug   :shrug: