Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your Hobbies & Interests  Hop To Forums  Computing & Internet    Flashing screen.
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Flashing screen.
 Login/Register

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted
On the Trump in 2016 thread after a few comments were added I now no longer can read the screen because of flashing. Is there a solution?

Posts: 12689 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trump in 2016

What device are you using?

Got a link to the topic?

Posts: 25916 | Location: VA | Mbr Since: 11-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
It will take me a while to find it again. Started last night iirc. iPad latest update was very recent. It’s the only one thread which was odd. Did the usual, hard boot, swore at it, and a few other dumb things like trying the reply to see it that stopped the previous screen tab. Iirc, that helped once but it’s difficult to do.

Posts: 12689 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post

Admin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
Here you go:

http://aantares.com/eve/forums...6052334/m/1510017796
Ok,

That thread isn't causing such "flashing" on either my Windows 10 Laptop or Android Cellphone.

However; there does appear to be a "rendering problem" with this particular reply which causes its display to be "stretched" way beyond a normal horizontal boundary.

That "horizontal stretch" is evident on both my Windows 10 Laptop and Android Cellphone. But, both displays are stable and not "flashing" at all. Perhaps there is something about Apple's Browser which reacts as you have described?

Posts: 25916 | Location: VA | Mbr Since: 11-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chronic...
posted Hide Post
Looks like something inserted line breaks in a really long url string, which left a number of really long text strings. Browsers tend to make the display wide enough for the longest text string on the page.

Posts: 9974 | Location: Colorado | Mbr Since: 10-17-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin
posted Hide Post

True Henry, the "broken" URL does appear to be the culprit.

If a continuous string of characters contains no "break" "space" or "hyphen" character... then most browsers will interpret same as a SINGLE WORD. Thus, that string's rendering will not be WRAPPED to the next line (thus it will stretch the displayed line/s). It does appear that happened with the "broken" URL within the reply in question.

Neither the OPERA nor SAMSUNG browsers (which I use) reacted to that with "flashing" (as does, apparently, Reed's SAFARI browser?), but the display is indeed "stretched" for me. I don't know how other browsers (such as; CHROME, FIREFOX, MS-EDGE, MSIE, etc.) react to such a situation with "flashing" or not, because I don't use those browsers.

When such a condition is desired/required by the coder, then use of the HTML "NOWRAP" coding set can be used to enclose that which the coder does not want to be WRAPPED even if "spaces" or "hyphens" are contained within the text (for example, column headings in a table).

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
Although safari has handled longish windows in the past, that seemed to be the problem to me, just from watching some of the refresh. I have had boxes that were unevenly wide before, and I believe I’ve had longish urls before too. Perhaps this one exceeds 3-4 lines? Anyway, until it’s cleaned up I cannot read the thread.

Admin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
Although safari has handled longish windows in the past, that seemed to be the problem to me, just from watching some of the refresh. I have had boxes that were unevenly wide before, and I believe I’ve had longish urls before too. Perhaps this one exceeds 3-4 lines? Anyway, until it’s cleaned up I cannot read the thread.
Reed,

I've edited the URL in question, so you should have no problem with that topic now.

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that indeed did fix it. Peachy is often on an iPad too so now she can possibly see it also.

AAA+
Picture of ImPeach
posted Hide Post
No flashing. I do get one of HB’s posts hyper-extended as well but it has happened before.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To understand the world, first you must understand a place like Mississippi....W. Faulkner.

Posts: 61815 | Location: Frogville, Georgia USA | Mbr Since: 10-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
I’ve created hyper extended boxes too! The refreshing however was fixed rather quickly after I mentioned the problem.