Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your Hobbies & Interests  Hop To Forums  Computing & Internet    Windows 10 upgrade
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Windows 10 upgrade
 Login/Register

Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted
My Dad wants me to upgrade his Windows 7 system, desktop, because there is a good deal on the software!

There are always pitfalls, but the one that started this is what is a refurbished Windows 10 disc? That appears to be the new name for upgrade but everything I read has caveats.

Anyone got suggestions, other than moving to a MAC or Linux? I’m considering those but he’s 95!

Posts: 12689 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin
posted Hide Post

Honestly, I would never again try to put Windows 10 on a platform originally designed to be running Windows 7.

I did that on my former laptop and ended up BACKING IT OFF to Windows 7 again (leaving it that way). I gave that laptop to my daughter when I upgraded to this laptop some time back. She is still using it (even though MS no longer supports/updates that OS). She uses 3rd party software (Open Office, Foxit Reader, Opera Browser, etc.) and she keeps her Anti-Malware CURRENT (Emsisoft Antimalware and Malwarebytes Premium, both paid versions, not the free ones).

The "upgrade" often yields a good many headaches/glitches. Then there's the issue of it being a CERTIFIED copy of Windows 10.

You really need to look at the hardware's limitations (RAM, CPU, clock speed, storage, etc.)... Windows 10 is a HOG on all counts. I'm running the following on 17" laptop:
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit on an
    Intel Core i7 6700HQ @ 2.60GHz
    with 16GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz and 4GB dedicated Video RAM
    with a 4TB hard drive (two 2TB partitions)
Windows 10 UPDATE downloads are PUSHED (FORCED on the user in the background thus impacting less capable hardware and slower Internet connections), and there's little choice as to WHEN those get installed (again, taxing less capable hardware).

You might be better off with some NEW lite-weight system with Windows 10 already setup for a couple hundred (software included)?

I'm not trying to discourage you, just trying to save you some headaches in the long run.

Good Luck to you and to dad!

Posts: 25916 | Location: VA | Mbr Since: 11-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stop The Madness:

Honestly, I would never again try to put Windows 10 on a platform originally designed to be running Windows 7.

I did that on my former laptop and ended up BACKING IT OFF to Windows 7 again (leaving it that way). I gave that laptop to my daughter when I upgraded to this laptop some time back. She is still using it (even though MS no longer supports/updates that OS). She uses 3rd party software (Open Office, Foxit Reader, Opera Browser, etc.) and she keeps her Anti-Malware CURRENT (Emsisoft Antimalware and Malwarebytes Premium, both paid versions, not the free ones).

The "upgrade" often yields a good many headaches/glitches. Then there's the issue of it being a CERTIFIED copy of Windows 10.

You really need to look at the hardware's limitations (RAM, CPU, clock speed, storage, etc.)... Windows 10 is a HOG on all counts. I'm running the following on 17" laptop:
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit on an
    Intel Core i7 6700HQ @ 2.60GHz
    with 16GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz and 4GB dedicated Video RAM
    with a 4TB hard drive (two 2TB partitions)
Windows 10 UPDATE downloads are PUSHED (FORCED on the user in the background thus impacting less capable hardware and slower Internet connections), and there's little choice as to WHEN those get installed (again, taxing less capable hardware).

You might be better off with some NEW lite-weight system with Windows 10 already setup for a couple hundred (software included)?

I'm not trying to discourage you, just trying to save you some headaches in the long run.

Good Luck to you and to dad!

You are repeating why I’ve never tried to upgrade my laptop! My Dad used to work on hardware and actually asked if he would be better off replacing the tower with 10 already on it.

I don’t have very high speed now, and I can imagine what 10 will do in my environment! He’s on cable and might not notice the speed. He keeps his anti virus up to date, religiously and isn’t running much more than office type software, especially email and Word.

For what it is worth, I’m getting tired of Norton because they want too much and they are trying to force me to automatic updates at list price - that isn’t going to happen!

I couldn’t figure out how to send you a private message even though I’ve done it before. Should we take this offline?

Posts: 12689 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin
posted Hide Post

To PT any member, click their username on any post and select the PT option.

I'll watch for your msg to me...

Posts: 25916 | Location: VA | Mbr Since: 11-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post