Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your Hobbies & Interests  Hop To Forums  Computing & Internet    Next Version of CHROME Browser is gonna hurt traffic?
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Next Version of CHROME Browser is gonna hurt traffic?
 Login/Register

Admin
posted
quote:
Chrome browser security tweak could badly impact loads of popular websites

Warnings over insecure sites could see traffic dip severely

The next version of the Chrome browser, which should be released imminently, could cause problems with a whole host of websites.

This is because Google’s browser will no longer support HTTPS certificates issued by Symantec before June 2016, and that includes various legacy certificates from the likes of Equifax, Thawte and VeriSign.

Affected websites include over 1,100 sites in the top million as ranked by Alexa.com, and as Scott Helme, a security researcher, found, they include the likes of Citrus, Pantone, Penn State Federal, the Federal Bank of India, and the Tel-Aviv city government.

Potentially more web pages could be affected, too, as Helme’s search only covered the certificate for the site itself, and not potential elements like sub-resources on a page somewhere on the site which might employ one such legacy certificate.

Certificate clampdown:
FWIW: Months ago, I completely stopped using the CHROME Browser. Malwarebytes Premium kept warning me of OUTGOING attempts to connect to a variety of malware sites (none of which I have ever visited OR even considered visiting).

THAT only happens when using my Laptop CHROME Browser (not with OPERA or MSIE or EDGE and not with my Android Phone's Samsung Browser). Here's is but one discussion of this phenomena (there are literally 1000s of such attempts, while using CHROME, in my Malwarebytes LOG)...

Posts: 25916 | Location: VA | Mbr Since: 11-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post