Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your Hobbies & Interests  Hop To Forums  Computing & Internet    I've "Cut The Cord" and now I'm taking the plunge (streaming TV)
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

I've "Cut The Cord" and now I'm taking the plunge (streaming TV)
 Login/Register

Admin
posted

I "cut the cord" (from both "Verizon & COX TV") quite some time ago, I just have FiOS Internet (over 900 Mbps UP + DOWN).

I just bought a small "smart TV" for our activities room. Best Buy had a good price (no one was cheaper) for a 32" Samsung at $180 -- plus ONE FREE MONTH of "Sling TV" included.

For those who do not know, Sling TV is the streaming service offered by DISH Network.
quote:
These devices are supported by Sling TV

If you're decided to go with Sling TV as your streaming service of choice, there's approximately a 99 percent chance that'll it work on whatever hardware it is you have on hand.

Be it a phone, a tablet, computer, smart TV, or dedicated set-top box, Sling TV supports a whole slew of hardware.

Here's what all you can use with Sling TV:

* Amazon Fire TV (boxes and full displays)
* Amazon Fire tablets
* Android phones and tablets (Android 4.4 and up)
* Android TV, including smart TVs from Sharp, Sony and LeEco
* Apple TV (fourth generation and up)
* ChannelMaster DVR+
* Chromecast
* Google Chrome browser
* iPhone and iPad (iOS 9 and up, iPhone 4.0 and up)
* LG TV with webOS 3.5 and up
* Roku (and Roku-powered TVs from Hisense and TCL)
* Samsung smart TVs
* Windows 10 devices
* Vizio Smart TVs
* Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X
* Xfinity X1
I already subscibe to Amazon PRIME (so I can stream TV and Movies, Plus get their other features as well). I've been planning on getting the "activities-room" a TV for some time now. One month of Sling TV was a bonus I had not planned on getting. I've not setup the TV or Sling, yet, and I may not continue with Sling TV after the free month... time will tell.

FWIW

Posts: 25916 | Location: VA | Mbr Since: 11-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gawd-like News VIP
Picture of TheOldMole
posted Hide Post
I cut the cable, use Netflix and Hulu. I miss live sports. I get a little-Thursday night football on Amazon Prime, Sunday afternoon on CNS All Access. A service like Sling won’t give me what I want - MSG for Knicks and Rangers, SNY for Mets.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Otis (Tad) Richards
TheOldMole
of the MoleNet

http://opusforty.blogspot.com/

" Skepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon."
-- Santayana

Posts: 42437 | Location: Upstate New York | Mbr Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin
posted Hide Post

Bummer, Tad, that you (and nearly everyone) has to hunt-for and/or sign-up for several services just to get EXACTLY what is wanted.

It's true that "one size" does not fit all, especially where streaming and/or cable TV programming is concerned.

However; I think as things change (and offerings from each service expand) due to competition, "one size" will fit more and more seekers.

Cable/FiOS/Satellite "FIXED and overpriced bundles" offerings are being badly hurt by streaming services, so they will be trying to offer as much or more as the upcomers.

Offerings like DISH's free-steaming Pluto TV are supposed to be limited to the United States. However; anyone across the globe can utilize a Proxy/VPN to make their IP Address appear as one within the U.S., so those goal-posts/out-of-bounds-markers will have to be moved again, it's just a question of how soon that will occur?

I think (at least HOPE) that eventually there will have to be reasonably priced à la carte offerings where we can pick ONLY what we want (as few or as many) and cut out everything in which we have no interest at all.

...just my 2¢   :2cents:

Posts: 25916 | Location: VA | Mbr Since: 11-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin
posted Hide Post

FWIW:

My two part problem...

1. My Samsung TV doesn't have the Chrome Browser, so I can't use it's Internet connection to view SLING TV via that website, which I do on my computer, using the Chrome Browser (with a variety of addons for privacy purposes).

2. Not wanting to use the Chrome Browser utilizing a CHROMECAST device to send stuff to my TV, was also out of the question.

3. Even though I don't like using APPS (to prevent their tracking), I went ahead and put the SLING TV APP on my LG-Phone.

Now I have a solution (without CHROMECAST)...

4. On my Samsung TV, I set the SOURCE to "mobile device"

5. On my LG Phone, I used: Settings > Networks > Share & Connect > Screen Sharing

When my Phone recognized the Samsung TV, I connected to it and then used the SLING TV APP on the Phone to "share" both Video & Sound with my TV. Voilà!

Admin
posted Hide Post

...follow-up:

Well, we did our 30-Day FREE Trial of Orange+Blue SlingTV streaming offerings during the month of December (2018).

We canceled the subscription, on 30 December, before having to begin make any monthly $40 payments. There is so much FREE streaming stuff available to us already via AmazonPrime (plus about a dozen subscription-free sources) that we decided that $480/year is better put to use elsewhere.

Admin
posted Hide Post