Aantares    Aantares BB  Hop To Forum Categories  Your News, Money, Sports  Hop To Forums  News    Moderna Stock Dives As Biden Considers Waiving Covid Vaccine Patents
Go To
Notify Me
TOS/Tools/Smilies

Moderna Stock Dives As Biden Considers Waiving Covid Vaccine Patents
 Login/Register 
Aardent
Picture of Victor Laszlo
posted
quote:
Moderna stock crashed late Wednesday after President Joe Biden's administration voiced support for waiving patent rights covering Covid-19 vaccines.

U.S. Trade Representative Ambassador Katherine Tai said the Biden administration would negotiate with the World Trade Organization to discuss waiving patent protection for the vaccines. This week, the WTO called for member nations to temporarily ease patent protections for Covid vaccines.

Doing so would allow other countries the chance to manufacture Covid vaccines using the same technological processes as companies like Moderna (MRNA), BioNTech (BNTX) and Pfizer (PFE).

"The administration believes strongly in intellectual property protections, but in service of ending this pandemic, supports the waiver of those protections for Covid-19 vaccines," Tai said in a written statement.

https://www.investors.com/news...rc=A00220&yptr=yahoo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“The fact that we blurr women’s nipples and men’s azz cracks but we don’t cover Ted Crux’s face is quite unsettling!”

Posts: 32426 | Location: from my home | Mbr Since: 10-13-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
This doesn’t look like the right solution. Plenty of patents are basically leased, why not just lower the royalties?

Posts: 12772 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aadmirable
Picture of Lynn Dee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:
This doesn’t look like the right solution. Plenty of patents are basically leased, why not just lower the royalties?

Plenty of patents ... does that include the vaccine patents?

And how would lowering the royalties facilitate other companies in other countries getting access to what they need to know to make the vaccines themselves?

Zach Floyd: "I want Trump to start claiming things like he's eaten 1,000 bees in his life so we can see Scott Walker try to eat a bunch of bees." Plus: And Jeb! take the bold stand of announcing he will not be eating any bees.

Posts: 45977 | Location: SoCal by the Mall | Mbr Since: 10-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aardent
Picture of Victor Laszlo
posted Hide Post
People around the world need to be vaccinated ASAP. This could save millions of lives. Biden is doing what is right.

“The fact that we blurr women’s nipples and men’s azz cracks but we don’t cover Ted Crux’s face is quite unsettling!”

Posts: 32426 | Location: from my home | Mbr Since: 10-13-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lynn Dee:
quote:
Originally posted by Reed N D Dark:

Plenty of patents ... does that include the vaccine patents?

And how would lowering the royalties facilitate other companies in other countries getting access to what they need to know to make the vaccines themselves?

Patents are done on many manufacturing processes. Knitted fabric came to mind. In those cases the machines are often supplied under a contract not to reverse engineer.

Hollerith also came to mind, without sharing that technology or rather leasing it.

There are other things that were also not as time sensitive as these vaccines are but I’m having trouble with an example atm.

Of course when someone is working for an organization it’s often that organization that assumes ownership. Similarly when the work is done under a grant. As I understand it Moderna sort of signed up for that Pfizer did not.

Licensure was the word I was looking for when I mentioned just royalties.

Posts: 12772 | Location: Central PA | Mbr Since: 05-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never goes away...
Picture of Reed N D Dark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Victor Laszlo:
People around the world need to be vaccinated ASAP. This could save millions of lives. Biden is doing what is right.

I agree, but I can’t find what patents are in danger. Supposedly themRNA is not new technology. And often, the problem is the expertise to duplicate the method. I’d hope that some of the technology can be black boxed in order to keep from having as big of a learning curve.

Here is part of what I found

https://www.who.int/phi/news/Presentation15.pdf